Sunday, July 01, 2007

baba ganoush & naan taco

Ever since having Baba Ganoush at the tea party last month, I've been wanting to make some. When I told Satoshi what I was making he said, "baba ga-what?" I think it is kind of fun to say, "baba ganoush", don't you?

Baba Ganoush adapted from The Leftover Queen
3 small eggplants
1 whole lemon, squeezed
2 tablespoons tahini
2 tablespoons yogurt, plain
1/2 clove garlic
salt
parsley
toasted pine nuts

Wash and cut off tops, pierce eggplants. Put into a 400F(200C) oven for 30 minutes. Cool and peel off skin. Whiz everything in a food processor, garnish with nuts.

NOTES: this is really easy to make. Since I couldn't find "tahini", I substituted Japanese sesame paste. I served it with some tortilla chips and it was delicious. I think the next time, I might have it with naan or a pita.

Black bean dip adapted from Ellie Krieger
1/2 medium onion, diced
1/2 clove garlic, minced
1 whole jalapeno, diced
1 (15 oz)can black beans, rinsed
1 whole lime, squeezed
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
cilantro
1 tablespoon water
salt and pepper

In a pan, saute the onions for 2 minutes and add the garlic and jalapeno. Add the beans to evaporate any excess water. Blend everything in a food processor.

NOTES: easy to make and this would be good with tortilla chips too.

Naan adapted from Video Jug
1 teaspoon instant yeast
1 tablespoon water
1 teaspoon sugar
200g plain flour (about 1.6 cups)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon EVOO
2 tablespoon plain yogurt
2 tablespoon milk

Put all ingredients into a bowl and mix. When combined, knead for 5-6 minutes. Cover with a tea towel and let rest for 15 minutes in a warm place. After 15 minutes, divide the dough into 4 pieces and roll out to about half an inch thick. Bake in 275F (140C) oven for about 20 minutes.

NOTES:The naan dough didn't get as big as it should have, I don't think the yeast was that fresh (the last time I used the other half was making bagels)

I did try making naan taco, I forgot to buy lettuce, so I had to do without. I put a layer of the black bean dip, some ground beef that I sauteed with cumin, paprika, chili powder and cinnamon, cheese and salsa...delicious!

We're still having weird weather, hope you are keeping cool where you are. Have a great week.

6 comments:

Brilynn said...

I love baba ghanoug but I have never had success making, I will have to give this recipe a try!

K and S said...

I hope you will give this recipe a try and I hope you will like it Brilynn. I was surprised at how easy it was to make.

Take care.
Kat

Jann said...

I have not had baba ghanoug~the dish looks very good, though. The dough looks like flatbread~i would love to try this!

K and S said...

It is refreshing on a humid day, Jann. The naan is a form of flatbread I think.

Take care!
Kat

Thistlemoon said...

Nice job on the Baba! I am so glad I inspired you to make it! It is so easy to make, I have decided there is no reason not to have some in the fridge at all times, as it goes with so many things!

K and S said...

Thanks for the inspiration Jenndz, it really was easy!

Take care.
Kat