Saturday, July 14, 2007

waiting for the typhoon to pass

Well, the typhoon is now over Kyushu and part of Shikoku, it is estimated to pass over Osaka either tonight or tomorrow. In the meantime, we have been having rain off and on during the day. (Can you believe that Satoshi had to go to work?)

Anyway, I saw the recipe for this pupu (appetizer in Hawaiian) in Gourmet Magazine's January issue. I also saw it being served here. (I think it may be a trendy thing in Hawaii now)...stir fried soybeans with garlic and chile.

Another easy dish to make and really good with BEER!

Stir Fried Soybeans with Garlic & Chile
from Gourmet January 2007--adapted from Pineapple Room

1 lb. soybean (frozen in shell)
2 tablespoon soy sauce
2 teaspoon oyster sauce
1 teaspoon sesame seed oil
1/4 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
2 teaspoon vegetable oil
2 teaspoon minced, peeled fresh ginger
2 teaspoon minced garlic

Cook soybeans in 5-6 quart pot of unsalted water for 5 minutes then drain in colander.

Stir together soy sauce, oyster sauce, sesame oil and red pepper flakes in a bowl.

Heat wok over high heat until a drop of water evaporates immediately.

Add vegetable oil, swirling to coat wok. Add ginger & garlic and stir fry until fragrant (about 15 seconds). Add soybeans, stir fry until lightly charred (about 2-3 minutes).

Add soy sauce mixture and stir fry until soybeans are coated and most of liquid has evaporated (about 1 minute).


Enjoy!

I had this appetizer for dinner along with shogayaki donburi (pork ginger bowls) topped with okra and green onions and of course...BEER!

NOTES: I used fresh soybeans for this recipe. The flavor of the sauce is very addicting and leaves a little sting on your lips after you have eaten a few.

8 comments:

OkiHwn said...

Gotta try this some time. Will it replace the plain soybeans with Hawaiian salt? That will be hard to beat for drinking with beer. The Okinawans love it too!

K and S said...

I don't think it could replace the plain soybeans with salt, Nate. But it really is addicting. My mom also said that they are selling these at bazaars, so it must be the trend.

Take care.
Kat

Barbara said...

Glad you are safe well after the tornado.

K and S said...

Thanks Barbara!

Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

MMmm, I love soybeans/edamame so so so much! I rarely have them with anything other than a little salt, but I think I'll definitely have to try this!

K and S said...

Thanks Ellie, I hope you like this version!

Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

I actually don't care for garlic chili edamame and they've become a staple here now. I really love only the plain salted edamame. I always look for the fresh local grown at the open market, Donki or Marukaiand some Times too so I can cook my own.

What caught my eye was the shogayaki with okra. When we were in Okayama, the Sugiya in the train station served that and they even had a jar of katuobushi that you could help yourself to. I think I went back 3 out of 3 nights we were there! Yuummmm!
v

K and S said...

V, during the summer I like to add okra to everything. The type of okra we have is tender so can eat raw. I like edamame plain and cook it without salt, 'cuz all the other pupu is usually salty :)

Take care.
Kat