Thursday, October 14, 2010

day 3

On our last day in Tokyo, the sun was out and it was, dare I say, hot!

Satoshi went off to see his team play and I went off to check out the Dean & Deluca Cafe in Marunouchi.

The Marunouchi shop is the first D&D shop in Japan.

I wasn't really hungry but needed to kill some time until Satoshi and I were to meet up, so I just had a cereal bar and a small cappuccino...476 yen (about US$4.75)

It was a nice area for people watching and also because they also had Wi-Fi.

Inside the Tokyo station, I checked out a karinto shop, Nihonbashi Nishikihorin, I've seen them on other blogs and was interested in trying some.

What I didn't realize was that the shop was inside, after you pass the ticket turnstyles. Which means, that only if you are going to ride the train can you shop here.

Luckily, I had to catch the train to Shinagawa to meet Satoshi, so I got to shop here.

When I found them, there weren't many people standing in front of the counter, or so I thought.

A sales lady then directed me to the line, located across the way where 10 to 15 people in line were glaring at me.

They had about 8 different flavors...I bought miso negi (onion, soy bean curd), black pepper, vegetable, and black sesame...1320 yen (about US$13.20)

When I reached Shinagawa, I did some window shopping and started to get hungry so I decided to look for somewhere to eat.

I ended up trying Freshness Burger. They have shops all over Japan, but somehow with all that walking I was in the mood for a burger.

The burger was so juicy that it dripped on my beige pants. I guess I was lucky the drippings weren't red or brown, but clear (oil).

After lunch, as I walked back to the station, I noticed a crowd of people looking at something, so I went to check it out.

They were filming a soap opera and I got a chance to take a photo of actor, Takenaka Naoto, before they shooed us all away.

Inside of Arte Shinagawa, I found these Biscot Tea cookies, which are actually from the U.S., but they sounded really delicious because they have different teas in them. (I think I may have a slight addiction to tea??)

(UPDATE: these are all delicious, the same shortbread dough with lots of tea flavor. Blueberry and Earl Grey are bright while Chai is spicy, best with coffee or a tea that won't overpower these flavors)

On the other side of the station, I noticed an Anna Miller's (which we also have in Hawaii).

Their pie of the month was Chocolate Haupia, which made me a little homesick.

Still needing to kill some time, I noticed this guy with baggy pants on, I guess it was a nice thing that he was wearing underwear, otherwise it would be his butt we would be looking at...(roll your eyes)

After meeting up with Satoshi we caught the train to Tachiaikawa, where he was interested in checking out a few historical spots.

I went to see some of them, but not all.

I was tired, my feet/legs were tired. Satoshi was happy that he got to see a lot of Tokyo. Even though he went to college for 4 years in Tokyo, he said that he hadn't seen much of it up close back then.

Overall, it was a nice trip despite the weather, there was lots of eating, lots of shopping (lots of tea) and lots of walking, hope you enjoyed our trip as much as we did.

Dean & Deluca Cafe
1-4-5 Marunouchi, Mitsubishi UFJ Main Building
Chiyoda, Tokyo
Phone: 03.3284.7071

Nihonbashi Nishikihorin
inside ticket turnstyle, Yaesu-side
1-9-1 Marunouchi, Gran Sta
Phone: 03.3287.8010

Freshness Burger
Shinagawa Grand Passage B1F
Phone: 03.6718.2802

18 comments:

Jude said...

That's so cool about the Anna Miller's with their chocolate haupia. That burger sounded delicious, as did those Biscot tea (I've a tea addiction too! Which also didn't start until I left Hawaii...I think hot weather's not that conducive to tea-drinking :)).

OkiHwn said...

So...did you have some chocolate haupia pie? Hope you did!

KirkK said...

Hi Kat - I was instroduced to the wonderful varieties via R Burger in the airport in Bangkok.... a collagen burger? I'm just fascinated with the huge variety.

K and S said...

me too Jude, I think the weather is too hot for tea in Hawaii :)

No didn't have the pie Nate, next time.

Interesting, collagen burger Kirk, I think it would be a hit in Japan.

Take care everyone.
Kat

Anonymous said...

Looks like you had a good day. I'm glad it stopped raining.

Paz

Dennis K. said...

Ooh Freshness Burger.. So jealous. Though I'd be perfectly happy with a good ol' MOS. :) Seems like a nice day!

Jenster said...

What is karinto? Is it like arare?

Sarah said...

oh i loved freshness burger. They have nice small burgers. Much better then the sizes here in Australia where they are enormous and I can never finish one!

Rowena said...

Wow finally the sun comes out! Looks another great shopping haul (and yes, I think you are very addicted to tea). ^-^

K and S said...

I'm glad it stopped raining too Paz :)

Yeah I prefer MOS too Dennis but didn't see any while walking around.

Karinto is fried dough with a sugar glaze Jenster :)

Must be like the big burgers we have in the US Sarah ;)

I think I'm addicted to food/beverages in general Rowena :)

Take care everyone.
Kat

Anonymous said...

I'm glad your husband finally got to see his baseball game; between the rain and your tight schedule, I thought he might miss out!

The different karinto flavors sound very interesting. I have only had the sweet karinto, do the savory flavors of karinto also taste good?

As always, love the variety of your blog!

K and S said...

I'm glad he got to see the baseball game too Anon! They are savory but with a sweet glaze so it is a sweet/salty combo, very good :)

Take care.
Kat

Lalique said...

Helloooo there
from Turkey friend.

friendly visit

K and S said...

Hi Lalique, thanks for stopping by.

Take care.
Kat

Deb in Hawaii said...

I had no idea there were Anna Millers in Japan. ;-) Sounds like you had a busy and fun trip and I fully support your tea addiction. ;-)

K and S said...

I knew they had one in Tokyo Debinhawaii, I just didn't know exactly where :) I'm glad you understand about my tea addiction ;)

Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

Aloha Kat,

I was just there twice this year..took 25 high schoolers from Maui and we all loved the Food Court on the 2nd floor of the Shinagawa Prince, cheap eats, like crepes, ramen, takoyaki, burgers, ramen, sandwiches all for under 1000 yean, also found excellent pasta at Shinagawa Grill that uses karashi mentaiko and crispy yuba..we don't have crispy yuba in Hawaii shucks..glad you had a neat Tokyo adventure. I also got addicted to Kuromame Cocoa, (black bean chocolate)

K and S said...

I wonder if Marukai or Shirokiya would have crispy yuba Anon? Though I think you may be from Maui so maybe Whole Foods?

Anyway, glad you and your "tour group" had a blast :)

Take care.
Kat