Wednesday, May 02, 2012

oven baked shoyu chicken

I have a vivid memory of this dish. I am at our neighborhood/family Christmas party, my Aunty M is opening the oven and pulls out a jelly roll tray of wings and it is sizzling.

Besides the chicken, there is a lot of oil and the aroma is pretty amazing.

On my visit this past March, I found the recipe for this dish in a local cookbook. When I asked my Aunty, she said that it is the recipe that she uses.

Oven Baked Shoyu Chicken : from "Simply Delicious Recipes II, Koganji Temple"
5 pounds chicken thighs
3/4 cup melted butter (170 grams)
bread crumbs

Sauce: 1 cup shoyu
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 cloves garlic
1-inch piece ginger, grated

In a large bowl combine sauce ingredients.
Mix well.
Marinate chicken for at least 4 hours.
Dredge chicken in bread crumbs, arrange on jelly roll pan.
Drizzle butter over each piece.
Bake at 325F (170C) for 45 minutes.


NOTES: the aroma that came from the oven was pretty much what I remembered it to be...shoyu-garlic-butter, delicious.  Even Satoshi commented on the aroma.

For the last 5 minutes, I stuck my chicken under the broiler because they were looking a little pale. I only used a pound of chicken (drumettes) and 50 grams of butter. Also, I made half the sauce, grating the ginger and garlic.

It is quite a messy and rich dish from all that butter. You'll want to eat it right after it comes out of the oven, the skin is a little crisp. I think if I had marinated the chicken overnight, the flavors would have been more prominent.

Still, this got a thumbs up from Satoshi, who doesn't really care for chicken.

17 comments:

Rowena said...

Oooh...and with a salad and beer too! Chicken drumettes make great finger food.

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

My mom made a similar recipe, too...we couldn't get enough of it! I'm going to make this soon :)

K and S said...

thanks Jalna :)

drumettes make wonderful finger food, Rowena!

Wow can't wait to see your recipe Lizzy :)

Take care everyone!
Kat

Happy Little Bento said...

oh man that sounds soooo decadent! I can just smell that buttery garlicy onoliciousness right now!

K and S said...

definitely great for parties, Sheri :)

Take care.
Kat

Japan Australia said...

This looks and sounds great to me and I beat the aroma was amazing :)

Japan Australia

K said...

YUM this looks and sounds delicious!

Anonymous said...

This looks SO awesome! It reminds me of something I'd find in Hawaii... Mouth watering!

TM said...

Looks and sound amazing! Definitely going to try soon. Thanks!

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

Ohhh YUM!!!! This looks like a perfect chicken dish!

K and S said...

aroma was definitely amazing JA!

Thanks K!

Thanks Hungry Artist, I hope you get a chance to try it :)

Hope you like it TM!

Thanks Nami!

Take care everyone.
Kat

Dennis K. said...

The description and photos are making me salivate!

K and S said...

yeah for delicious descriptions, Dennis :)

Take care.
Kat

Deb in Hawaii said...

It looks very decadent and very good!
;-)

K and S said...

definitely fun for parties, Deb!

Take care.
Kat

Rinshinomori said...

Looks what you have done! I just purchased 1 & 2 of the books from ebay! haha Although I love to cook, I also love to read cookbooks and have tons. I must have about 8 or so cookbooks from Hawaii too and these two will share the same area of my bookshelf. The recipe looks very eat and good. I know my husband would enjoy it. I did not know of anyone who did not like chicken.

K and S said...

lol glad you found them Rinshinomori :) hope you enjoy the recipes in them.

Take care.
Kat