Thursday, September 25, 2014

koregusu tako

Recently in "ELLE à table", there was a story about different hot sauces of the world.

One that was featured was koregusu, the Okinawan hot sauce.

They also had a recipe using it with tako (octopus), so I gave it a try using my homemade koregusu.

Marinated tako adapted from "ELLE à table" issue no.75, September 2014
200 grams steamed tako (octopus)
koregusu
2 tablespoons olive oil
juice of 1 sudachi (lime)
pepper
myoga (ginger shoots), thinly sliced and soaked in water for at least 5 minutes
shiso (perilla), julienned
cherry tomato, sliced in half

Take the tako and cut it into bite sized pieces.
Add the koregusu, amount is up to you.
Add the olive oil and lime juice
Mix well and chill.
Just before serving add the myoga, shiso, cherry tomato.

NOTES: If you cannot get myoga, substitute with red onion. Shiso can be subbed with basil. Lime juice can be subbed with lemon or another citrus. You can also add sliced cucumber and okra too.
Very versatile recipe.
When I first put the oil, koregusu (1 teaspoon) and lime juice together, it wasn't hot...so I added 2 more teaspoons of the hot sauce.
When we ate the tako there was a slight "burn" but nothing "fiery".
I would also add some shoyu for more flavor.
I am making this again.

5 comments:

KirkK said...

I wish I could send you some of my chili peppers Kat!

K said...

Looks great!

K and S said...

I would be scared of your peppers Kirk, they sound super spicy!

Thanks K!

indeed Jalna :)

Take care everyone!
Kat

Rowena said...

I still have shiso -- better use'em up. About the okra...that would be boiled or fried first? How would you do it?

K and S said...

Rowena, I almost always just do okra fresh, no boiling or frying :)

Take care!
Kat