Friday, June 12, 2015

mom's bread & butter pickles

The other day, we ate up the last of my "stash" of my mom's bread and butter pickles.

She always had a couple of jars in her fridge and whenever we ate egg salad or tuna salad sandwiches these would be eaten alongside.

Growing up though she would put sweet pickle relish in her egg salad and tuna salad, dunno when she changed over to these pickles...

So, since my stash was depleted, I decided to try my hand at making these.

If you want to make these here is her recipe:

8 cups cucumber, sliced
2 onions, sliced
1/3 cup Hawaiian salt
*mix and let stand for 2 to 3 hours

Sauce: 2 cups vinegar
2 cups sugar
2 tablespoons whole mustard seed
1 teaspoon celery seed
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
*bring this mixture to a boil

After the 2 to 3 hours, squeeze out the liquid
Add the veggies to the boiled mixture
Put into jars

Enjoy!

NOTES: This recipe is super easy! The thing that takes the longest is the waiting for the salt to "wilt" the onion and cucumber.

I cut this recipe to a fourth because even though I love these, I just don't have the space to keep them, especially with the awful heat of our summers.

Luckily the tiny vegetable stand had a bunch of cucumbers on sale. I used 6 for my batch.

Instead of cayenne, I added some chili flakes. I also had to use some brown sugar because I ran out of white. I thought the taste might differ because I used rice vinegar instead of white (which she used), but the taste is the same.

Now that I've replenished my pickle stash, I think we'll be eating egg salad and tuna salad more often.

If you eat bread & butter pickles, please share with me how you enjoy them.

Have a nice weekend!

5 comments:

tofugirl said...

I l-o-v-e bread and butter pickles, but I just eat them straight out of the jar (when no one is looking!) I'm inspired to try making my own! Do you think I could substitute plain old sea salt for the hawaiian salt? Not sure I can find it around here...

K and S said...

Thanks Tofugirl, yes I think you could use sea salt in place of Hawaiian salt:) Hope you like this!

Take care.
Kat

K said...

Yum, looks good!

KirkK said...

Nice recipe Kat! I love making stuff my mom used to make.....

K and S said...

Thanks K!

I bet you have a lot of recipes Kirk :)

Take care you two.
Kat