Friday, March 18, 2016

crispy spice oil

I've been wanting to try this recipe for some time, I just had to get all the ingredients together...

Crispy Spice Oil : makes about 300 cc (about 1.5 cups) : about 4 servings from "Spice Cafe" : Kazushiro Ito

A) 100 cc (1/2 cup) mustard oil
50 grams fried onions (minced)
40 grams fried cashews (chopped)

B) 100 cc (1/2 cup) mustard oil
1.5 heaping tablespoons mustard seed

C) 2 heaping tablespoons cumin seed
1 heaping teaspoon fennel seed

D) 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (ground)
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon salt

E) 100 cc (1/2 cup) mustard oil
20 grams minced garlic

Place A) into a bowl.
In a pot, put the ingredients for B) and cook on high heat.
After about 2 minutes or when the seeds start to pop, add C) and stir.
Add D) and stir again.
Add this mixture to the bowl.
In another pot, heat E) and cook on high until garlic turns light brown (about 1 minute)
Add to bowl, mix and cool.
After cooled, transfer to airtight bottle.
This will keep in the refrigerator for 3 weeks.

NOTES: I cheated here and there. I used pre-made fried onions and didn't fry the cashews. Also, the recipe says that if you cannot get hold of mustard oil, to use sesame oil, which I did. Instead of using fresh garlic, I used dried since I had some that needed using up. Everything is supposed to be quite minced but I kept everything quite chunky.

The recipe says you can use this on meats, on salads or as a dip for fresh veggies.

I put a couple teaspoons on top of some salmon. I liked the crunchiness from the onions and want to try it on chicken. I also want to try to mix it with some yogurt as a dip.

I'm glad I tried this and am making this again.

7 comments:

Rowena said...

I immediately liked this because now there is a way to use up the cumin and fennel seeds in my cupboard. I wonder what kind of sesame oil? The really dark kind or lighter. Whatever, gonna try it, it sounds tasty!

K and S said...

I would use whichever is more fragrant, Rowena:) hope you like this!

Take care.
Kat

Marie said...

Sounds like a delicious way to add more zing to meals at home! I tend to stick with the same old stuff out of routine and comfort, but should really try some new things. :)

jalna said...

Sounds so ono, but too hard for me to make! Too bad you not my neighbor. I would be at your house right now. LOL!

K said...

Looks delicious!

KirkK said...

Looks good Kat!

K and S said...

if you try this Marie, I hope you like it :)

lol Jalna :)

Thanks K & Kirk :)

Take care everyone.
Kat