Sunday, January 15, 2006

anniversary dinner

After having to go to work, Satoshi was able to come home in time for dinner (yeah!) 

We had planned to go out (before he had to go into work), but since I didn't know when he would be able to come home, I decided to cook. 

 I grilled a steak filet and some zucchini, carrots, onions and enrigi mushrooms.

Then drizzled some balsamic vinegar and italian spices on top of everything.

I made pesto (for the first time) with my little food processor.

 It was really easy. I got the recipe off the internet at a site called the Reluctant Gourmet.

 I had to cut down the recipe a bit. Plus, I didn't have too much pine nuts, so I improvised and added some onion/garlic flavored macadamia nuts. 

If I do say so, it came out pretty good! For dessert, I melted some dark chocolate and dipped some strawberries into it. Simple but delicious! We also had some Pinocchio Sangiovese wine (a very light but dry red wine). It turned out to be a great anniversary. Pesto recipe 3 cloves garlic 2 cups basil leaves 3 Tablespoons pine nuts 1 dash salt & pepper 1/2 cup EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) 1/2 cup grated parmesean cheese Pesto is supposed to be made by grinding the ingredients with a pestel and mortar (that's apparently how it got its name). I put everything into the food processor and when everything was chopped up really fine, I added the EVOO. It smelled great and tasted even better!! Have a great week!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kat,

Happy anniversary. Those strawberries in dark chocolate look quite nice. The simplest things can turn out to be the nicest!

K and S said...

Hi Bea,

Thank you so much! Yes, simple is definitely best.

Have a great week.

Kat & Satoshi