Thursday, March 30, 2006

lavender


Do you like lavender? I was never really into it until I moved to Japan. There is a lavender farm called Farm Tomita in a little town called Furano in Hokkaido. Hokkaido is the most northern island in Japan. To see this lavender farm during the summer is really breathtaking. Just hillsides and fields of purple! After Satoshi and I experienced this, we decided that our next goal was to see the "real deal" in Provence, France (hopefully soon!!).

About 5 years ago, I had heard about a lavender farm on the island of Maui. My aunty recently went for a tour and lunch there. The farm is called Alii Kula Lavender. Kula is an area on the island of Maui that is known for their Maui onions. These onions are really sweet (I think they are like the Vidalias).

Anyway, ever since I tasted the Cranberry-Lavender Campagne (farmhouse) bread from Abientot in Minoo, I have been wanting to get my hands on some edible lavender. I checked out the markets and gadget shops in Hawaii then surfed the internet and could only find it on the Dean & Deluca website...but, I was not about to pay an arm and a leg for the shipping & handling (mainly because the continental U.S.'s S&H is WAY cheaper than Hawaii or Alaska's...aren't we the same "country"?)

After hearing about my aunty's recent journey and how they had all kinds of lavender products, I went to see if they had a website and they did! I was surprised at how many things they have! I really wanted to order more things but held myself back (a bit...) I got the lavender scone mix, the culinary lavender and a lavender-verbena goat milk soap. The postage was reasonable and it came within 2 days!

When the postal delivery person came and handed me the box you should have smelled the fragrance wafting from the box...it was just heavenly!

Can't wait to make some lavender food things!

Alii Kula Lavender
1100 Waipoli Road
Kula, Maui
Phone: 808-878-3004

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yes Lavender, love it. I am jealous that you have the culinary one!

Anonymous said...

I love lavender, not only for it's own unique flavor and scent but also for the therapeutic qualities it has in bathwater... a few drops of lavender oil and I'm so relaxed.

Thanks for the pointer to the Maui farm. I've never thought to go visit but it must be just beautiful when the plants are in full bloom!

jasmine said...

I must admit that my early memories of lavender is tainted by Thrills gum (aka "the gum that tastes like soap"). I've tried a few things flavoured with lavender and I know I liked them, but I have to get over that immediate "Thrills" memory :)

j

K and S said...

Hi Bea,

It was definitely a hard item to find!

Hi Rowena,

My aunty just went last week, so, I would call before going, just to make sure they are blooming!

Hi Jasmine,

Isn't it weird how the bad memories of stuff hold us back from trying them again? I hope you come into a good experience with lavender soon!

Take care and thanks for stopping by!

Kat

Anonymous said...

Hi Kat,

We grow lavender in our garden. We only have 4 or 5 plants, but they're such a pleasure. And we always dry the lavender so that we can enjoy it during the winter.

I too would like to get to Provence one day to see the "real deal" ... great post!

K and S said...

Hi Ivonne,

I have 9 plants...hope they are doing well, left them in Satoshi's care ;)

Before leaving, I ran my hand gently on the leaves (are they called leaves?) and enjoyed the fragrance of them!

Hope you are having a nice week.

Kat

Anonymous said...

Hi, Kathy!
I didn't know that we can eat lavender...interesting!
Enjoy your lavender stuff!