Monday, April 03, 2006

books, books and chocolate!

The weather gave us a reprieve for just ONE day...we are back to thunderstorms, but hopefully not more r***...

One of the first things I do when I come home is jump onto my mom's computer and order up myself a ton of books from Amazon.com. These books are usually cheaper than buying them from your neighborhood bookstore, PLUS shipping and handling are FREE (if you order over $25 worth...)

I am so happy when I hear a horn tooting out in front of our house. It lets me know that the mailperson has brought me something that I've bought over the internet!

Take for example the package the other day...I was napping, when the FedEx guy tooted his horn, I went(ran) out with my umbrella into the rain, to take the package from him...the box contained...The Silver Spoon! I have read on several blogs that this is a great book...and since I love Italian food, I had to get a copy for myself.

The back cover says, "The Silver Spoon is the bible of authentic Italian cooking. Italy's best-selling cookbook for the last fifty years, it features traditional dishes alongside specially written menus by celebrated chefs. Now translated for the first time into English, The Silver Spoon's 2000 recipes make it an essential classic for everyone who loves good food."

This cookbook is REALLY huge! The book starts out with explanations of terms. There is also a ribbon bookmark built into the book! I can't wait to try out some of the recipes.

Another thing I do is shop for grains that I can't find in Japan-- stuff usually from the health food stores & for DARK CHOCOLATE! I found these at a local health food store called "Down to Earth". Dagoba chocolates are really tasty. I had bought the lavender/blueberry one previously and loved it! I decided to try two more different flavors, Mon Cherri--dark chocolate with cherries and vanilla (with a cacao content of 74%) and Xocolatl--dark chocolate with chilies and nibs(with a cacao content of 72%). I also got their Concado 73%, this is a organic forest grown chocolate from the Dominican Republic. It is Fair Trade and USDA organic certified. Dagoba can be found in Japan, but definitely not worth the price they are charging for it! (I think it may be twice the amount that I pay for in Hawaii...)

Hope you have sunshine where you are...we're still trying to dry out!

Have a great week!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kat,
I get all my books sent to me at work - the front desk knows I'm waiting for something when I start lurking around, asking if FedEx has come yet!

Dagoba chocolate is great! Have you tried their lavender and blueberry chocolate bar? Wonderful stuff!

Anonymous said...

Kat,

You are going to love that book!

Anonymous said...

Well it looks like we're thinking on the same level because Amazon was the first place that I started click, click, clicking away.

Lavender/blueberry chocolate??? I'm already looking for the address to that store. What a find!

K and S said...

Hi Anita,

Yes, I love Dagoba's lavender/blueberry. I thought the blueberry would overpower the lavender but I was wrong and loved it!

Hi Ivonne,

Will start cooking from it when I go back to Japan ;) Do you have any favorites from this book?

Hi Rowena,

Are you still on Kauai? Try clicking on my side bar for Dagoba, they may be able to tell you where they sell it. If not, Down to Earth is near Pearlridge Shopping Center kitty corner from Anna Miller's Restaurant. :)

Thanks for your comments everyone!

Kat

Anonymous said...

I recently discovered Dagoba chocolates ... They are wonderful, aren't they? They're not cheap, but oh, the flavours! I'm nibbling my way through the lavender and blueberry one now (isn't it amazing?) and have already tried the Xocolatl and Concado. The Mon Cherri sounds delicious; I will have to pick that one up next.

As for "The Silver Spoon" ... I, too, have heard much about this book. I've recently binged on cookbooks (bought 4 in March, and had 3 sent to me for book reviews), so I SHOULDN'T get another ... but this sounds so good! Oooh, maybe just one more ...

K and S said...

Hi Tania,

You brought a smile to my face :) ...just one more cookbook, just one more!

And yes, Dagoba chocolates are wonderful!!I tried the lime and the rosehip? one, but wasn't too keen on those but really love the lavender one!!

Hope you are having a great week!

Kat

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Is this book suitable for amateurs?
Thx

K and S said...

Hi Piccola,

I haven't tried anything YET, but it seems suitable for anyone. Most of the recipes are less than a page long and written very clearly.

If you are hestitant to get this book, you should try to see if your local library has a copy and maybe you check out some of the recipes for yourself!

Thanks for stopping by!

Kat

jasmine said...

I love my copy of Silver Spoon. I want to try it all out, but I keep going back to the panna cotta...mmmmmmmmmmmm.


j

K and S said...

mmm pannacotta. will have to note that, thanks Jasmine!

hope you're having a great week!

kat

Anonymous said...

I want this book as well ;-)

K and S said...

Hi Bea,

Do you have a COSTCO nearby? I saw it there for about $3 less than what Amazon.com was selling it for...of course, this was after I bought mine from Amazon...

Enjoy the weekend!

Kat

Anonymous said...

Long time ago, I had heard of the "Silver Palate" cookbook, but not the Silver Spoon--cool, I will check it out. I'm another one who has too many books and cookbooks but is always wanting more, lol. Yum, blueberry and Lavender chocolate sounds awesome!

K and S said...

Hi tm,

Yes, blueberry and lavender are really great!!

Thanks for stopping by!

Kat