Monday, May 22, 2006

fried egg salad don



Tonight, I had a last minute lesson, so by the time I came home it was almost 8pm. I wanted something, quick and easy for dinner. I was inspired by La tartine gourmande's blog post about having a meal in one dish and Messy Cucina's blog post about having fried egg sandwiches. I decided that my dinner tonight would be a fried egg salad-don. Don is short for donburi which means "deep bowl". I put some rice at the bottom, then put some lettuce, diced red pepper and carrots and topped it with a fried egg.

I also made a simple dressing which I got from the February 2006 issue of "Healthy Cooking"

4 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
pinch of salt
freshly ground pepper


And how cute is this dog? He/She always waits like this. Kind of reminds me of a drive-thru, waiting to take an order or of a prisoner in jail, wanting to get out. I had to take the photo from aways back so that he/she wouldn't bark at me.

Hope you're having a great day!

8 comments:

bourgogne said...

dog jail!

your invention looks delish. i always thought if there were a fresh veggie element of donburi, that would be a good contrast of texture and healthfulness.

K and S said...

Hi Bourgogne,

Doesn't it look like it??

Try making this at home, real easy and fast!

Take care.

Kat

Anonymous said...

Awww...I really can't tell, but the dog looks to be a beagle?? I love beagles, but in my dreams if my husband will let me have another canine in the house!

As per your comment on surinam cherries, if I could gather enough of the fruit, I'd like to make some jellies with them. For the most part they just end up in my mouth!

Oh and for the big news on Hamura's, I'm working on a post but haven't been able to stop by there to take a photo. I think it's just GREAT that they won that award, but for them it's no big deal... ;-)

K and S said...

Hi Rowena,

Yes, I think he/she is a beagle. I think it would be cool if you got another doggie. Shall I email your husband?? lol

I heard that the people at Hamura's weren't planning to go to the awards ceremony because they were too busy with everyday stuff! Still I think it is great that they were recognized!!

Take care now!

Kat

Anonymous said...

that looks so yummy and what a delish way to have everything in one fell swoop!

I think that I might have to try that kind of dish that combines the salad and the main course together...
did you put the sauce all over it?

thanks for being so creative!
d

K and S said...

Hi Debi,

Thanks! It was fast and easy and good!

I just put enough dressing for the salad.

Please try it!

Take care.

Kat

Anonymous said...

I learned to put a fried egg on salad from a co-worker, but never thought to make it into a donburi, good idea! Thanks for sharing!

K and S said...

Hi TM,

Definitely try it. Saves on the amount of dishes you need to wash!

Take care.

Kat