Monday, October 16, 2006

world bread day 2006

World Bread Day '06 Today is World Bread Day.

I saw this post on Jasmine's blog, Confessions of a Cardamom Addict. It seems that Zorra of Kochtopf, is hosting this event, but was actually started by the UIB (International Union of Bakers and Baker-Confectioners)--they even have a website for this special day (here).

What we need to do, is either make or buy your favorite bread then post about it.

I decided to make my own bread.

Here is the recipe I use for my basic bread (from the yeast packet box):
300g (3 cups) flour
6g (2 tsp) dry yeast
40g (4 1/2 tablespoon) sugar
30g (1/2)beaten egg
175cc (3/4 cup) water
5g (1 tsp) salt
45g (3 1/2 tablespoon) butter
beaten egg to wash the top
flour for kneading and handling

1. In a bowl, put the flour, yeast and sugar and mix lightly to combine. Add the egg and water.
2. When everything comes together, put out onto a floured board
3. Press down on the dough with your fists to take out the air
4. Knead and fold the dough about 100 times, repeating steps 3 & 4.
5. Sprinkle some salt
6. Work in butter by spreading it as you fold and knead the dough.
7. After about 20 minutes of kneading, the dough should be quite thin when pulled apart.
8. Cover and let rest in a warm place for 50-60 minutes. The dough should rise about 2-3times the size.
9. After the 50-60 minutes, poke the dough with your finger and the dough should stay put.
10. Cut the dough into 40-50g pieces (about 12)
11. Round the pieces in your palms
12. Let rest for another 10 minutes, covered.
13. After the 10 minutes, roll out into a triangle.
Roll from the bottom to the tip.
14. Place the rolled tip on the bottom.
15. Let rest for another 40 minutes, covered.
16. Wash the tops with the rest of the beaten egg.
17. Heat your oven to 200C(400F) and bake for 8 - 13 minutes.

Notes: If you want to add a filling, do it at step 13, when rolling up.

I added sweet potato with cinnamon, sugar and sesame seeds to half of the dough. Steam the sweet potato and cool before adding to the dough.


The other half, I added chocolate chips and the rest of the cinnamon, sugar and sesame seeds.

Enjoy!

p.s. There was a huge earthquake just off the coast of the Big Island in Hawaii, this morning, which affected all the islands. I hope all of my family and friends are okay. I heard that the power has been off for most of the day, hang in there! And I hope to hear from all of you soon!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lookin' good! I've missed the boat on this one, but I might make a loaf later this week if I can muster the effort :)

K and S said...

Thanks Ellie!

I'm trying to get the ingredients together for your chocoholic cookies :) Hope you find some time to baking a loaf of bread!

Take care.

Kat

Rowena said...

I can't even begin to tell you how hungry the previous post made me! Now you make this incredibly tasty-sounding bread. Absolutely beautiful.

I just heard about the quakes through a comment made at my blog! We lost contact with the world when we went hiking this weekend. Welcome back to reality eh? ;-)

Anonymous said...

This looks divine Kat. Nothing beats homemade bread. I am just too late to participate, even if I made bread today. Just will not be ready ;-)w

jasmine said...

Ooh! I'm so pleased you are participating -- I knew you'd come up with something yummy!

j

K and S said...

Thanks Rowena! I hope your family and friends were safe. What a way to come back to reality!

Thanks Bea! Now that I've made bread a couple of times, I really enjoy it. Maybe you can participate next year!

Take care you two!

Kat

Anonymous said...

Kat,

I hope your family is well!

Great bread!

K and S said...

Thanks Ivonne,
Satoshi went back to work yesterday.

Take care.

Kat

Brilynn said...

Adding sweet potato is a great idea, I love it!

Liz said...

Mmmm... sweet potato and cinnamon. Now I "yam" really hungry!

Great post. Definitely on my "must try" list.

K and S said...

Thanks Brilynn & Liz!

Thanks for stopping by!

Kat

Chanita Harel חני הראל said...

Wonderful Buns ! - Thank you ;-)

K and S said...

Thank you Chanit! You have many interesting blogs!

Take care.

Kat

Elizabeth said...

I love the idea of the sweetpotato and cinnamon swirled in. The buns look delicious.

-Elizabeth

P.S. I hope you have heard from all your family and friends and that they are all okay.

K and S said...

Thanks Elizabeth. These were good.

Oh and thank you for your concern, all of my family and friends were okay :)

Kat