Thursday, December 28, 2006

viognier and chijimi or is it pajeon?

I'm not too sure if "chijimi" is the correct naming for this dish as everything on the internet was labeled "pajeon", but everything in Japan is called "chijimi". I didn't really follow the recipes that I saw on the internet either because I didn't have the type of flour that they used. Anyway, last night, I tried to make "chijimi"/"pajeon".

Serves 1
42g thinly sliced pork
3 stalks of chive
1 egg
a little milk
1 teaspoon sesame oil

Cut the pork into bite sized pieces and set aside.
Cut the chives into 1 to 2 inch pieces, wash and set aside.
Put the oil into a frying pan and heat.
Add the pork and after the pork has turned color, add the chives.
Beat the egg and add a little milk (to make the egg fluffy)
Pour over the pork and chives.
Cook well.

The chijimi/pajeon was good, but didn't have too much flavor by itself, so I served it with some kim chee. I found these cute servings for one--it is just the right size, although if you love to eat kim chee, it may be a little too small for you.

This dish went really well with the 2005 Yalumba Viognier--a dry, fruity wine.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I looked up a dictionary and it says chijimi means pan fried food. Though I think Buchimgae or Jeon are more common ways of saying it than chijimi in Korea.
When I make these kinds, I just use all purpose flour.

By the way, Kat
I have a question for you. You know gomanoha which has a unique taste and smell. I use it a lot for cooking. Do you know what it is called in English? I though it is called sesame leaf but someone said that it is wrong to call it like that and it is not edible.

K and S said...

Thanks for the info, Sue. I'll call it "jeon" and try using all-purpose flour the next time.

Gomanoha is also called e-gomanoha here--I would translate it as "sesame leaf". It is related to perilla, what we call "shiso" here, but totally different from gomanoha.

I looked around on the internet and sesame leaves are edible.

Hope this helps.
Kat

Anonymous said...

Thanks Kat. It was very helpful. :)

K and S said...

I'm glad to have been of help, Sue!

Take care.
Kat

OkiHwn said...

Always thought "pajeon" or "pajun" was seafood/chive pancakes.

K and S said...

I think you may be right, Nate. I was thinking just to use the "jeon" part because it is like a pancake without the seafood.

Take care.
Kat

Unknown said...

I came across your blog while searching the net for chijimi recipes. I'm in Japan, too, and I made some tonight (for the first time) using a mix I found at the supermarket. It was fairly tasty!

K and S said...

Hi Kanane,

Wow! they have a mix for this? I'll have to check it out the next time I go to the market.

Take care and thanks for stopping by!

Kat