Sunday, March 04, 2007

we're jammin' and jellin'

Remember I posted about the beginnings of making strawberry guava jelly here? Well, she hasn't had time to work on that jelly yet, but has done others.

After writing that post, mom received some regular guavas. She cut them and scooped out the seeds.

Then zapped them in a food processor.

She then cooked the puree with some sugar and lemon juice to get guava jam.

When sealing the jars, she always puts a layer of paraffin.

She also received some frozen surinam cherries. If you've never tasted these, they are quite tart.

After heating them, she strained them in a sieve.

The juice was then heated with some sugar and lemon juice.

And after it jelled, they were put into jars, ready for a layer of paraffin and are now awaiting to be sold at the Taste of Hongwanji.

Hope you are having a great weekend!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh man, I am so jealous of your preserve-y goodness! Those strawberry guavas look delightful!

Jann said...

my gawd, you guys need to open up a market! I'd buy some!

K and S said...

Thanks Ellie, these are different from strawberry guava, they are just called guava.

Thanks Jann, if you can make it to Hawaii (Oahu) on April 1st, they'll be holding this event and you could buy some :)

Take care you two.

Kat

Anonymous said...

Thanks for commenting on my blogher introduction...sometimes the blogosphere seems really closed and cliquey. I'll keep plugging away at it and I'm sure it'll get easier!

K and S said...

Take care cce, hope to see you around!

Kat

Anonymous said...

Kat,

I would love nothing more than to dip a spoon in one of those jars of beautiful, jewel-like jam!

K and S said...

We usually get to taste a sample of them after she makes them, you can dip your spoon then, Ivonne!

Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

YUMMY!

i love delicisous ~ i like cooking~

welcome to my home~

http://blog.sina.com.cn/m/yoyolove

K and S said...

Thanks for stopping by, Yoyo! I'm sorry I cannot read Chinese--Your blog photos look wonderful!

Take care.
Kat

2kamuela47 said...

Kat the pics are awesome! I do hope you put aside a couple for you to take back to Japan. :o) Aah, the comforts of home!

K and S said...

Thanks Laura, I already have some back in Japan, so I'm not bringing any back this time.

Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

Oh wow! This post brings back so many memories, I can't even begin to explain how very cool it is to read about your experience. Paraffin wax...I remember helping my dad with that. And surinam cherries...yum!

K and S said...

Thanks Rowena! I remember your post about surinam cherries too.

Take care.
Kat

ilingc said...

MM guavas, now that's something I haven't had in a while. Looking at the photo of guavas sure bring back lots of memories. :)

K and S said...

Thanks Ilingc,
I like Mom's guava jelly more than her guava jam.

Take care!
Kat