Tuesday, May 08, 2007

blueberry-nib scones-updated

As I was flipping through an edition of "Donna Hay" that I had bought in Hawaii, I came upon a recipe for blueberry scones. By now, I think you know that I love scones, so you know that I just had to try this recipe.

As I started making them, I realized that they didn't print how much of the blueberries should be added. Should they be dried? Preserves? Did I read the recipe wrong? Nope, I needed to ad-lib. I came up with...

Blueberry-nib scones adapted from "Donna Hay--Issue 29"
2 cups (250g) flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup sugar
50g chopped unsalted butter
1/4 cup dried blueberries
1/4 cup cacao nibs
1/2 cup milk

Mix the flour, baking powder and sugar together, cut in the butter until it resembles breadcrumbs.
Add the blueberries and nibs and mix a little more.
Add the milk and mix until just combined.
Let rest for 15 minutes.
Turn dough out onto a floured surface and with your hands press out to about a 1 inch thickness.
Using a 2-inch round cutter cut out 8 scones, re-molding dough to cut as needed. (If you use a smaller cutter, you can make more scones.)
Place on a lined baking sheet and bake at 180C (350F) for 25 minutes or until cooked through.

These were great. The nibs gave it a nutty flavor . You can eat it with marmalade like I did or by itself. I had mine with coffee, but I think a black tea (not the flavored type) would go well with it too, maybe with a splash of milk/cream.

UPDATE:received an e-mail from Donna Hay Magazine, it should be 1 cup of blueberries. (thank you!) received another e-mail from Donna Hay Magazine, it should be 250g of fresh blueberries (thank you!) I guess you can either use fresh or dried :)

8 comments:

The Chocolate Nerd said...

I love Scones! But they kind of stick to your belly:)

K and S said...

You are so right Chocolate Nerd!

Thanks for stopping by.
Take care.

Kat

Anonymous said...

Ooooo, blueberry and chocolate! Sounds like a good combination :D

K and S said...

It was a very nice combo, Ellie! The crunch from the nibs and the tartness from the blueberries. :) Definitely worth a try.

Take care.
Kat

Brilynn said...

Cacao nibs are big with me right now, those sound great!

K and S said...

They are pretty big with me too, Brilynn! Happy baking!

Take care.
Kat

nordwolke said...

Mmmh! Yum! They look great! I think, I have never eaten scones ... :(

K and S said...

Oh, you must try them Beadexplorer! I think you may like them.

Take care.
Kat