Monday, September 17, 2007

leftover bi bim kook soo toppings & popcorn

Since it is nashi season, I wanted to try the bulgogi recipe I have with some grated nashi. I got the recipe when it wasn't nashi season, so I was substituting grated nashi with grated apple. The bulgogi came out really soft and tender, and a bit sweeter. Since the weather is still warm, I used the bulgogi for bi bim kook soo. But by mid-week, I was getting tired of eating it with noodles.

So, for lunch on Friday, I mixed 1 teaspoon of the bi bim kook soo dressing with mayonnaise (Best Foods, of course) and stuffed two sesame rolls with the bulgogi, shredded carrots and cucumber and put a little kim chee. It reminded me of the teriyaki burgers in Hawaii, with a little zing from the kim chee.

Then for breakfast on Saturday, we had bi bim kook soo fried rice. I heated the bulgogi up in a pan then added leftover rice. I sprinkled some water over the rice to steam it. When everything was heated, I scrambled 1 egg and poured it over. When the egg was cooked I divided the fried rice into bowl and topped with shredded carrot and cucumber and a little kim chee. Since I still had some of the dressing left over too, I drizzled a little over each mound....Ono!

While watching a baseball game on Saturday afternoon, we ate the last of my Hawaiian popcorn stash. This one was Kim Chee flavor. When I bought it, the guy at the snack shop said that this one was HOT, so when I put in the spice packet, luckily, I remembered and didn't dump the whole thing into the popcorn bag. The main spice is cayenne pepper, so only a little of the packet (about a teaspoon) was enough for Satoshi and I. We also added our own arare, since the one that comes with the package is always stale. We liked it, but agreed our favorite was Li Hing Mui.

Today is Keiro no hi, Grandparent's Day. It is a National holiday, many offices and businesses are closed. I'm taking some time out to think about my grandparents--remembering them and appreciating all that they have done to give me a better life.

Have a nice week.

6 comments:

OkiHwn said...

You should have told me earlier. Could have brought you back more!

K and S said...

Thanks Nate, I'm actually trying to switch from microwave popcorn to "pop myself" popcorn.

Take care.
Kat

OkiHwn said...

Good!!! You've heard about the bad things concerning microwave popcorn?

K and S said...

Yeah, I heard about it Nate, but then again, most things that are bad for you tastes really good.

Take care.
Kat

SteamyKitchen said...

I really wanted to buy some of the Li Hung Mui popcorn, but with shipping fees, it was outrageously expensive for popcorn!! Maybe I can make my own? I don't think I've seen Li Hung Mui powder anywhere though.

K and S said...

Hi Jaden,

I've only seen the powder in Hawaii, probably the closest you might be able to find some is in Vegas (there are some Hawaii snack shops there).

Hope you can get your hands on some.

Take care.
Kat