Tuesday, November 06, 2007

yudofu

I made this dish awhile ago, but I thought I would post about it today since it is raining and the temperature has started to drop here.

This dish is another great way to use ponzu. It is called yudofu, which translates to tofu (soy bean curd) boiled in a pot of hot water. Doesn't sound too appetizing, yeah? But, it is actually a nice, light way to warm up on these cold nights.

I don't have the donabe (ceramic pots) that you will usually see this dish cooked in in restaurants.

First make your stock. In a shallow pot, put 500 cc (about 2.5 cups) of water and a 2 inch piece of dashi konbu (kelp that you use to make stock), bring to a boil. If you are serving more than 2 people, increase the water and konbu.

While the broth starts to warm up, get your veggies and tofu ready. I used shiitake, carrots, hakusai (chinese cabbage) and a semi-firm tofu. You could also add leeks, I didn't have any.

To cut the star/cross on top of the shiitake, take your knife and cut the top at an angle from right to left, not cutting all the way through. Take your knife again and cut at an angle from left to right. Repeat until you get the design you desire, just don't cut through the mushroom. Throw the bits from the cut-out design into your broth.

Cut your carrots and hakusai to about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thickness, this will help for them to cook quickly. Cut your tofu into cubes. If you use leeks, cut them at an angle to about 3 or 4 inch pieces.

When the broth starts to boil, turn heat to simmer and put in the veggies that will take the longest to cook--carrots and hakusai (and leeks). When those veggies get soft, add the tofu and shiitake.

Take out and splash some ponzu on and add a little more stock to your bowl.

Enjoy!

Hope you are keeping warm where you are.

5 comments:

SteamyKitchen said...

So healthy! I actually have a ceramic pot. Hmmmm....you just inspired a dinner party menu for Thurs night!!!

Rowena said...

Wow Kat, fresh shiitake...I've never had! I've got dried whole ones though from back home and konbu too! Thanks for a great lunch idea. :-)

K and S said...

Thanks Jaden, hope your party guests enjoy this dish as well :)

Actually I cannot eat the dried ones Rowena, somehow they have a smell that I cannot get used to. Hope you like this dish :)

Take care you two.
Kat

Anonymous said...

Hey, nice blog! I have yudofu over at Nanzenji the other day. Pretty good stuff!

Check out my blog, KyotoFoodie.com, maybe Satoshi will see some of his familiar Kyoto haunts?

Maybe you can recommend something in Kyoto for me to try?

K. F. PekoPeko

K and S said...

So many good places to check out in Kyoto, K.F. Pekopeko! You can search my blog to see what tickles your fancy!

Take care and thanks for stopping by.
Kat