Wednesday, January 30, 2008

marukai

Marukai is a Japanese-American grocery store on Oahu. They import foods from Japan, Asia and also have some items which are "local" and imported from the mainland too.

I remember when my mom used to collect the Marukai arare bags to turn in for merchandise...boy, that was way back when.

It used to be that the best part about shopping there for me, was to to be able to buy the Japanese foods and condiments. Anyway, now that I live in Japan, the best part about shopping at Marukai are the bento (boxed meals).

For today's lunch, I got the mochiko chicken and musubi (US$2.29). Mochiko chicken is a local-style fried chicken but the batter is made from mochiko (sweet rice flour).

Just outside of the store you will also find these two ladies cooking up andagi. Andagi is the Okinawan donut (without a hole). They also make Andagi dogs, the Okinawan-American version of the corn dog. (US $2) Both, the bento and andagi dog really hit the spot.

This one looked quite burnt, but actually tasted good and not too oily either. The batter around the dog was sweet, so there was no need for ketchup.

In order to shop inside of Marukai, you need to be a member. (I'm not to sure if they have passes for the day which you can buy if you are just visiting the Islands.)

Marukai
2310 Kamehameha Highway
Honolulu, Hawaii
Phone: 808.845.5051

13 comments:

Kathy YL Chan said...

Waaaahh! MARUKAI? ::sigh:: I am jealous! ;)

K and S said...

sorry, Kathy. I hoped to cheer you up not make you homesick with these pics. Hang in there with tax season!

Take care.
Kat

OkiHwn said...

Hey, your first excursion? I can't wait.

Marukai membership is $10/year. I heard you can get a one-day pass for $1. I got my card. If you forget to bring your card, you show your ID and they give you a one-pass no charge each time.

Love the food there, especially the unagi and misoyaki butterfish from there. One of the firat things I'm going to eat.

Chibog in Chief said...

reading this post reminds me of our experience living in japan..once a month i see to it i go and purchase filipino delicacies in Ueno market and Carrefour supermarket for french food for my hubby..nothing really beats the goodness of revisiting our home-grown food

Rowena said...

I'm with Kathy on this. Jealous, jealous, jealous! {sigh} Tantalize me with some mochi will you? I just saw a pic on another blog and almost broke down crying. I miss the ice cream ones!

2kamuela47 said...

Hope you are keeping dry. It's been pretty windy and rainy this week. Enjoy your stay! Laura

K and S said...

Thanks for the membership info, Nate. My dad and grandma had the miso butterfish bento yesterday, looked good too.

Comforts of home, Dhanggit :)

I'll see if I can round up some ice cream mochi for you, Rowena. Aren't you coming home soon??

Man, it is rainy and windy, Laura. I heard there was snow on Haleakala, Mauna Loa & Mauna Kea too! Winter is definitely here!

Take care everyone!
Kat

KirkK said...

Hi Kat - My friends love that andagi dog.....it started after I left, so I still haven't had a chance to check it out. It sounds like you're really enjoying your trip.

K and S said...

I hope you get to try it Kirkk, the outside is a little sweet from the andagi batter. Maybe your Marukai will have it? I'm hoping so.

Take care.
Kat

bourgogne said...

we LOVE eating at marukai!

K and S said...

cheap eats at its finest, Bourgogne!

Hope you are well.
Take care.
Kat

Pandabonium said...

Thanks for reviving happy memories of eating andagi (sold as a fund raiser) at Bon Dances on Maui. Yum.

K and S said...

ooh andagi at bon dances are the best, Pandab!

Take care.
Kat