Tuesday, March 04, 2008

palisades drive-inn

Sunday started off with this beautiful sunrise. Loved how it lit up the sky. The birds were chirping. It was the making of a beautiful but hot Hawaiian day.

Lunch was from Palisades Drive-Inn. This is just up the street from where I grew up.

I think these are the original owners of the restaurant, though I'm not too sure (there was a burger place here previously during my elementary years).

Dad had the mini shrimp curry. Lots of shrimp and big veggies. The curry wasn't too spicy, but just right.

I had the mini sweet-sour spareribs. These spareribs were more fatty than I'm used to, and the sauce was a little more gingery. I guess when your mom and grandma makes "the best" spareribs, nothing can really come close.

Anyway, we were both rather disappointed because the rice was really mushy and it wasn't because there was gravy on it either. Oh well, for US $9.84 tax included for the two plates, I guess you cannot really complain. Plus, service was at the speed of light.

Palisades Drive-Inn
2321 Auhuhu Street
Pearl City, Oahu
Phone: 808.456.4888
Monday-Saturday 10:00-20:30, Sunday 8:30-20:30

p.s. Happy Girl's Day!

11 comments:

SteamyKitchen said...

looove japanese curry - is that what the shrimp curry is?

2kamuela47 said...

Happy Girls Day to you too, Kat! Plate lunches, yummy! :o)

K and S said...

I don't think this was Japanese style curry, Jaden. I think that Hawaii, local style, curry is a little different. I think the Japanese curry uses the roux (thicker) and local style curry uses more curry powder (a little more soupy).

Thanks Laura, hope you had a great day!

Take care you two.
Kat

Amrita said...

ooh, the curry looks nice and mild!

K and S said...

thanks Amrita!

Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

Thought you might get a kick out of knowing that there is a reader of this blog in Hawaii who can't get over the fact that he is constantly seeing these new places to eat and thinks, "I'll try that out sometime..." only to see that someone who lives in Japan has already gone there. Sheesh!

Enjoy this blog a lot. Thanks!

K and S said...

he he, Oyaji-sama, I'm actually from Hawaii living in Japan for most of the year :) Hope you get to try some of the places I've been to on this trip home.

Take care.
Kat

Rowena said...

It's Girl's Day today?! A happy GD to you too. Everything looks so good, but it's that mac salad that is making me smack my lips right now.

btw, I didn't know that 'ama'ama was gray mullet either, but I remember catching those with my dad and I know he alternated between using hawaiian and english names. Would be so cool to see a real hukilau but I guess those days are loooooong gone!

Anonymous said...

Hey Kat,
I didn't know there was a plate lunch place up there. Thought it was just houses and a school.

Have you been to Fat Boy's yet? There's a new one that opened in Waipio by Costco. Pretty good plate lunches like the one in Kailua. Everyone likes the garlic chicken there. Last week I had the beef stew and really enjoyed it!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the sunset and sunrise pics. Made my day. ;-)

Food certainly sounds good. Wish I were with you.

Paz

K and S said...

Hey Rowena,
My mom and dad participated in a "hukilau" in Japan. They threw the nets with the rest of their tour group then had to pull in their dinners!

I've seen Fat Boy's, Lori, but the name is keeping us away...lol. Will give it try if I have some time, thanks for the heads up.

Thanks Paz!

Take care everyone!
Kat