Friday, June 20, 2008

kim chee corn fritters

I had never had a corn fritter, have you? But when I saw them here, here & here, I knew I should try making some.

The issue of Donna Hay that I have just so happened to have the recipe for corn fritters.

It was weird, the image I had of making them wasn't at all like the recipe.

In fact, I didn't have some of the ingredients. (insert pouty face) I hate when that happens. So, I ad-libbed.

Makes 10 fritters or so : adapted from Donna Hay magazine issue 29
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon oil (I used rice)
1/2 cup water
1 egg
2 tablespoons canned corn
50 grams kim chee
1/2 bell pepper, chopped (1/4 if you have the big bell peppers)
1/4 onion, chopped
rice oil to fry

Mix the flour, baking powder, oil, water and egg together.
Add the corn, kim chee, bell pepper and onion to the mixture.
Mix well.
Heat a non-stick pan on low and put some oil in to lightly fry (about 1 tablespoon)
Using a serving spoon drop a spoonful of batter onto the pan and cook like pancakes.
Take off heat and put onto paper towel to drain oil.

Serve with salad and some bi bim kook soo sauce.

NOTES: This was good, but the next time I buy milk and some butter, I'm trying this recipe again.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

How smart of you to improvise! It looks delicious!

Paz

K and S said...

Thanks Paz, I was too lazy and too hungry to run out to the store...

Take care.
Kat

FranMag said...

Here's another recipe for corn fritters you might want to try. http://www.hawaiidiner.com/recipes/recipe.php?recipe=694

Chibog in Chief said...

i love so much corn fritters :-) i dont actually have fryer i just normally use a small casserole and fill it with lots of oil but one day my Mom in law is dumping her fryer (for health reasons), I was so happy and i took it home :-)

K and S said...

Thanks FranMag, will give it a check!

I used a frying pan, Dhanggit, I don't have a deep fryer. You are lucky to inherit a deep fryer :)

Take care you two.
Kat

Anonymous said...

Never heard of corn fritters with kim chee before, but I love the idea! I'm so hungry for Korean food right now. :)

K and S said...

I hope you get a chance to try this, Lori :)

Take care.
Kat

test it comm said...

Adding kimchi to corn fritters is a great idea!

K and S said...

I hope you get a chance to try it like this Kevin :)

Take care.
Kat

Barbara said...

I often make these corn fritters for weekend lunches. I serve them with sour cream, salsa and avacado. Well done on the improv Kat.

K and S said...

I like how you serve your corn fritters, Barbara :)

Take care.
Kat