Friday, June 06, 2008

salmon flake

After seeing Nate's post, I was about to buy some bottled salmon. The bottled salmon is also known as salmon flake or hogushizake.

Then, my mother-in-law gave me two pieces of masu (trout) which is in the salmon family. (Thank you!)

I googled around for a recipe and found a really easy one and adapted it from Cookpad.

250 grams of masu/salmon
1 tablespoon sake (rice wine)
1 teaspoon mirin (sweet rice wine)
1 teaspoon shoyu (soy sauce)
1 teaspoon ground sesame seed

If there is skin on the fish, take that off and discard it.

In a non-stick pan, on low heat, heat up the fish.
(As the fish heats up, it will be easier to take out any bones.)
Use a wooden spoon to break up the fish.
Turn the heat up to medium and add the sake and mirin.
When the liquid disappears, add the shoyu.
When that liquid disappears, taste and add shoyu as needed.
Top with ground sesame seed.

NOTES: the flavor was a bit light, so I added a total of 2 teaspoons of shoyu and 2 teaspoons of mirin.

This is great for musubi or add it to your tamagoyaki (rolled egg) for your bento or just sprinkle some onto your rice.

Enjoy!

9 comments:

Tamakikat said...

Hi Kat,

hope this finds you well.

I saw tamagoyaki with something like this in one of the stores in Nishiki Market (NM) yesterday.

BTW if any of your readers haven't been to NM lately they might be interested to know it has undergone a change with more stores offering seating so you can enjoy the foods instore.

T

Rowena said...

Frozen, bottled, canned fish may be the only option that I'll have in the future. Italian fishermen are on strike here due to the rising costs of fuel. No can afford to run their boats, so there is no fresh fish to sell! Has the rising costs of fuel had an effect on fishermen in Japan? I'd imagine it would be disastrous!

K and S said...

That is great info, Tamakikat! Thank you.

Oh no, Rowena! I think the problem here is that there are hardly any fish to catch. I think the said the amount of maguro (ahi) has gone down to 1/50 what it was several years back :(

Take care you two.
Kat

K and S said...

Hope you get a chance to make this too, Nate :)

Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

Mmmm, yeah I can totally see that in a musubi. :)

K and S said...

I hope you also get a chance to try this Lori :)

Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

You know the shoyu tuna that is put in the sushi roll. Would this recipe work with the can tuna for the sushi roll as well? Or is that a complete difference recipe? Much Mahalos, lance

Jann said...

I have not seen anything like this in a bottle-I'm not sure if I want to.....something about the freshness of the fish, but your recipe looks very tasty!

K and S said...

I think that may be a different recipe, Lance, but it may work, just won't be as sweet as the tuna you find in the makizushi.

This recipe is a nice way to preserve salmon without using artificial preservatives, Jann :)

Take care you two.
Kat