Sunday, June 29, 2008

starbucks

Remember when I was in Hawaii, I couldn't find "short" sized drinks because it wasn't on their menu? Then reader, Whitney pointed out that they do have "short" you just have to ask for it.

Well, recently the Starbucks here came out with a Dark Mocha Frappucino. It tasted like a rich fudgesicle. I had forgotten about being able to order a "short" and unconciously ordered the "tall" which is noted on their menu. But the "tall" is too much, it gets boring half-way through.

Then, I saw people walking around with "short" frappucinos and made a note that the next time I wanted one I would order a "short".

I was surprised.

Usually the Japanese barista along with all store workers in other shops like the beauty parlor, restaurants--yell out everything. Actually it is kind of embarassing when you go into a place alone, they yell to everyone in the restaurant..."table for 1". Even when they drop something on the floor and it makes a ruckus, they yell "sorry for the disturbance". At the beauty salon, when you are done coloring or cutting your hair and need to walk over to the sink to be washed, they yell "O-tsukaresama" (you worked so hard!) Or when I was in a library-like atmosphere bookstore the other week, I quietly asked if they had a restroom and the clerk yelled out, "no we don't have a restroom here". All in all, they feel this is customer service but I think it is just unnecessary jabber and unnecessary embarassment for me.

Anyway, I was surprised, because when I ordered the "short" frappucino which isn't noted on the menu, they whispered it to the barista. Like it was a sin to order something so small.

I guess there are just some things in this country I won't understand.

Hope you have a good week.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's so funny! Hope you enjoyed your frappuchino!

Donna said...

Maybe the short drinks are just a big secret and they don't really want people to know about them, haha.

Hello Sweetie said...

Fudgesicle? Sounds good. Think I'll have to make a visit to StaBa this morning.

Remember the fudgesicle icecream put out by Haagen-Dazs way back in the day? 1989 here in Japan. It was so good I still look for it in the stores sometimes.

Tamakikat said...

Popped into StaBa on the way home for the frapuccino. Personally I wasn't too impressed. I prefer the mocha at StaBa and the fudge shake at MisDo. Have you tried the latter Kat?

Peony said...

can understand your predicament.

I was like you while in Japan. The salegirls continue to speak(loudly) to me in Japanese when I paid even tho I told them that I don't understand a word of what they are yakking.

I'm sure they can understand what I'm saying as they r young adults (my girl told me they do learn English in school), even the older train master can speak to me in English.

bourgogne said...

such a paradoxical culture. it makes me understand some of my relatives a little better though.

Anonymous said...

Do you remember what the prices are like, short vs tall?

K and S said...

Hi Lori,
Sorry I only know the price difference for Japan. 430 yen vs. 480 yen.

Interesting Bourgogne :)

Peony, the sales girls I don't get are the ones that talk with the really high voices, you gotta wonder if that is real.

Aww, you didn't like it, Tamakikat, please tell me why? I've never tried the shake at MisDo, maybe I should :)

Sorry HS, don't remember the fudgesicle ice cream by Haagen Dazs, though I'd like to try it if it comes out again :)

I guess if you can sell 50 yen more of product you'll do anything, Donna :)

Glad I made you smile, Myra :)

Take care everyone!
Kat

Tamakikat said...

Try MisDo's fudge shake and tell me what you think. I think the flavor is more intense and it's easier to drink. I found I couldn't suck the frapuccino up the straw.

Rowena said...

This is too funny. If I ever find myself in this sort of situation in Japan, I will turn my head, cup my ear and yell "WHAT????? I'm deaf in this ear!"

Such a rascal like my doggies yeah? ;-)

Jenster said...

How interesting -- I didn't know you could still get a short size from Starbucks, and I'm very embarassed because I live near Seattle, so there is a Starbucks on practically every corner here. One thing I do like is that they have kid-sized drinks for just a little more than $1, so my kids can get hot chocolate or steamers and I don't have to worry about paying too much or having them consume too much sugar.

I shall have to start asking for short sizes there!

K and S said...

I'll try it and let you know, Tamakikat :)

You are rascal Rowena :) like your doggies!

Short is definitely the perfect size, Jenster :)

Take care everyone.
Kat

K and S said...

Hey Tamakikat,
Just went to MisDo and tried the shake, it was so thick, I had a hard time sucking it up through the straw. A bit too creamy for me, but I guess that is what a shake is supposed to be.

Take care.
Kat

p.s. tried the no trans fat donuts, blah (no taste)...

Tamakikat said...

How classic! I remember now that the MisDo shake IS a little hard to drink. I definitely have a selective memory:)

TK

K and S said...

so funny, Tamakikat :)

Take care.
Kat

Tamakikat said...

I take it all back. After 5 hot days in Tokyo and 4 tall mocha frappuccinos I'm sold.

K and S said...

Tamakikat, I'm sad because the dark chocolate mocha frappucino is no longer on the menu :( Glad you like the mocha ones!

Take care.
Kat