Thursday, August 07, 2008

ma'ona's lavender shortbread

Before I tell you about the shortbread, I need to tell you that I had my vanilla in the refrig (because it is so hot here) and luckily checked it before mold took it over (there was already a little, especially on the beans that were sticking up out of the liquid). I decided to strain the liquid and put it into bottles and will leave it in my cupboard instead. Hopefully it will be okay.

Okay...now onto the shortbread...recently, Alan posted a delicious sounding recipe on his blog for lavender shortbread. I love lavender and shortbread, so this recipe was perfect. On top of that, it didn't take many ingredients.

We still have a butter shortage, most places only allow you to buy one box of butter (200 grams) at one time. I try to have some unsalted butter in my freezer. I am not hoarding as others may be.

NOTES: I usually cut my box of butter into 4 pieces (50 grams each), so I cut this recipe to 1/4. I didn't have a pan to bake this in, so it kind of spread out all over the parchment paper and I could only salvage this little piece....

I used lavender sugar instead of putting the ground lavender and the sugar. The salvaged piece was good. Crispy, buttery, flaky! With the "crumbs"...I'm going to sprinkle them on vanilla or mac nut ice cream.

Great recipe, Alan!

11 comments:

Deb in Hawaii said...

Glad you were able to rescue the vanilla--that would have been a big loss. I have about 3/4 of a tin of Culinary Lavender left from my last visit Ali'i Kula on Maui. I think I might need to make these as they look delicious.

K and S said...

I was glad to be able to rescue the vanilla too, Deb. I hope you like the shortbread :)

Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

The big version of that shortbread picture looks so good, buttery and golden brown!

Chibog in Chief said...

yay, looks like i found a great recipe to make use of my lavander :-)

K and S said...

Thanks Lori :)

Hope you like this Dhanggit! :)

Take care you two.
Kat

Rowena said...

I got this one bookmarked too but still haven't made it. Glad you did 'cause now maybe I will remember?!?

K and S said...

I hope you make it soon, Rowena! I want to drool over your photos :)

Take care.
Kat

2kamuela47 said...

I had lavender cookies before it was interesting. The lavender seems to over power the cookie but I think I should try your recipe.

K and S said...

Laura,
If there is too much lavender in the cookie/dish it may be bitter. Just a little goes a long way :)

Take care.
Kat

Unknown said...

I love lavender shortbread and yours sounds so great! Sorry to hear about the butter shortage - I don't know what I would do if we developed the same problem here!:)

K and S said...

Thanks Anita, hopefully the shortage won't last too long, though they predict it going until Christmas!!

Take care.
Kat