Friday, August 08, 2008

odds & ends

On Sunday when we went galavanting around Minoo Park, I saw a sign for the city's Nanokaichi. Actually, this "festival" is more of a get together for merchants to sell their wares around the Minoo station and in parts of the Minoo Park on the 7th day of each month. Since I had never gone to this, I decided to check it out yesterday.

To my disappointment though, there wasn't much happening. I guess with summer, it was too hot, plus the 7th fell on a weekday.

Oh well...since I was at the park already, I walked to the Insectarium and paid to check out the butterflies (again). I was shocked to see that many of them had wings that looked like they were ripped or eaten. Still, having them fly around was a nice feeling.

The Minoo river was quite high. We've been having heavy rains during the afternoons. It has been quite scary too, with loud booms of thunder and bolts of lightning. But, the downside to this is that even with all the rain, the humidity still lingers. This is one part of Japan's summer that I cannot get used to.

I noticed this big tile on top of a shrine. Scary, yet comical looking face with butterfly tiles "fluttering" around it.

Not many flowers during this time of year, though I found these portulaca (sp?) in pots along the path.

Since there wasn't much else to do, I decided to stop into my favorite cafe for a cappuccino. I actually debated as to whether I should go for an iced cappuccino. But, I didn't know if the iced version would have the cappuccino art...so I went for the hot cappuccino...I am so crazy! I think it was at least 35C (95F) outside with thick humidity...the crema was so good though, I scooped it up with the spoon like it was fluffy pudding.

Satoshi called me as I was enjoying my cappuccino. He needed a document from the city office for work. It was a good thing he caught me while I was still in the neighborhood. I popped into the office and showed them his text message. The city worker helped me fill out the form and within a couple of minutes I paid 200 yen (about US$2) for the document and was out of there.

As I walked to the train station, I noticed a railroad sign. Something I have never seen in Hawaii, though maybe they do have some around. I don't drive in Japan, but I think this sign is there to warn drivers that there is a railroad crossing ahead, though they aren't at all the railroad crossings.

Wednesday night, I made chirmol. I like this recipe, it tastes like a fresh salsa, mixed with the flavors of lomi lomi salmon (without the salmon). Anyway, I had bought a can of jalapenos and put one pepper into the chirmol. Delicious and there is a kick that leaves fire on your lips.

Thursday night, with the leftover chirmol, I made a taco salad for dinner and used the chirmol as salsa. I also tried a flatbread recipe, but I want to tweak it a bit before sharing. It was too salty and too sticky.

Here are the crumbs on mac nut ice cream. Actually, I think the shortbread would stand out more with vanilla ice cream. The mac nuts kind of overpowered everything. Ooh, and I actually found another big piece within the crumbs! (can you see it in the back of the ice cream mountain?)

Do you think these little plants are tomato or okra? I threw some tomato and okra into this pot and all of a sudden this is what has come up. I'm hoping for okra, though I have a feeling it is tomato.

Sorry for the rambling...It's Aloha Friday here...hope you have a great weekend!

12 comments:

2kamuela47 said...

I love those cappuccino art, so cute! I think that is tomato growing in that pot. Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

That's a really talented barista you have there in your favorite cafe. I wonder if anyone does this latte/cappuccino art on Oahu?

FranMag said...

Believe it or not there is a railroad crossing currently in use on Oahu. It's at the one road that this train http://www.hawaiianrailway.com/ crosses every Sunday. We took our son on the train ride a few years ago and being new to Hawaii at the time I learned an awful lot about Hawaii and the Ewa Plains.

Deb in Hawaii said...

I really love the cappuccino art too and would have ordered hot too just to see it again. The chirmol sounds really good. I think in hot weather I just crave Mexican and/or Latin flavors.

K and S said...

I knew there was a railroad crossing but wasn't sure if there was a sign FranMag :) Thanks for clearing that up.

Hmm, not sure about the baristas on Oahu, Lori, would be cool to see what they can do though :)

Thanks Laura, I think you may be right about the tomato.

Take care everyone!
Kat

K and S said...

I hope you try the chirmol, Deb :) I am hungry for Mexican too, must be the weather!

Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

The coffee art is sooooo CUTE!!!

K and S said...

Thanks Girl Japan :)

Take care.
Kat

Rowena said...

That coffee art is going to be popular in the foodie world 'cause every time I see it, it makes me smile. :-)

As for the seedlings....looks like tomato to me. I oughtta know, with over 50 containers of plants which somehow found a home in my garden!

K and S said...

I think you are right about the coffee art, Rowena, it looks like it will be very popular :) As for the tomato, I was hoping for okra, but I guess if we can get free cherry tomatoes, it is a good thing.

Take care.
Kat

nordwolke said...

You have an Insectarium nearby? That's great. I love Insectariums. And I have never seen something like Capuccino Art! That's amazing!!!

K and S said...

Yes Beadexplorer, the insectarium is inside of the national park we have nearby :) I hope you get a chance to experience cappuccino or latte art soon!

Take care.
Kat