Tuesday, December 09, 2008

pignon

About a 10 minute walk from where we live, is a tiny shop called Pignon. I have bought their creme brulee in the past and have tried some of their cakes (pre-blog).

This past Sunday for our tea time, Satoshi and I walked to Pignon to pick out some sweets. Here is what we chose:

Satoshi chose a slice of a caramel banana roll. A whole banana is rolled in caramel cream and cake...330 yen (about US$3.30)

He also chose the Shibukawa Marron roll. Shibukawa is the inner brown skin that is on the chestnut. The cream is coffee and chestnut...280 yen (about US$2.80)

I chose the strawberry shortcake. This is different from strawberry shortcake in the States. A light fluffy yellow cake is layered with whipped cream and strawberries...300 yen (about US$3)

I also chose the blueberry cheesecake. This was a baked cheesecake with a gelatin blueberry layer on top. I was disappointed with the crust of this cheesecake but everything else was delicious.

It is a good thing that cake shops in our area take some walking to, otherwise I think I would be there everyday.

Pignon
3-5 Hanjo
Minoo, Osaka
Phone: 072.725.6633
Open 10:30-21:00
Closed Mondays

15 comments:

Rachael Hutchings said...

Oh yum! You're killing me here! Bakeries/cake shops/cafes are so abundant in Japan that it has come as sort of a shock to move back to where the only truly good places to go are only in the big big cities instead of within walking distance.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kat :) Tea for two and two for tea...oh how happy we will be ;)

how fun

toodles

K and S said...

Yeah, I get that same culture shock whenever I go back home too, Fuji Mama, I'll take a futon out for you in our spare room :)

Thanks Shar :)

Take care you two.
Kat

Phoebe said...

YUM!!! This is sooo apetizing...ahh...I'm thinking about wanting to eat it through the screen now.

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a spread! I like your choices a lot, especially the blueberry one!

K and S said...

Don't hurt yourself, Phoebe :)

Thanks Lori :)

Take care you two.
Kat

Rowena said...

Any, or ALL of these would be a welcome treat with my chai tea right now. Boy am I beat...still getting the house in order. At least the dogs cannot complain 'cause I took time out to bring them for a one hour walk today (and in 3°C weather too)! Ha! I could use another "pass" just to take a break from stuff right now.

genkitummy said...

The cakes look delicious! What a novel idea!I have to remember to try to roll a whole banana into a jelly roll cake.
So, which dessert was your favorite?

K and S said...

mmm chai, sounds like a nice way to take a break, Rowena, hope you can get the house in order soon :)

thanks genki, my favorite was the cheesecake minus the crust :)

take care you two.
kat

Anonymous said...

They all look good, even though you were disappointed in the blueberry cheesecake. Yes, it's good that you can walk to and from the place. ;-)

Paz

K and S said...

It is really good that I need to walk in order to buy them Paz, when I'm feeling lazy I usually end up giving up the craving for cake :)

Take care.
Kat

Deb in Hawaii said...

I would pick the strawberry and the banana caramel--going by sight alone of course. Too bad about the cheesecake crust! We ate our way through Maui yesterday and most of it was sweets and carbs so I really shouldn't look at anything else for awhile!

K and S said...

Ooh Deb, I hope you got to go to the Ali'i Kula Lavender Farms for scones :)

Take care.
Kat

Hui2 said...

oh, how I miss a good Japanese strawberry shortcake!!! I want one too!!!!

K and S said...

I hope you get your fix soon, Hui2.

Take care.
Kat