Monday, February 16, 2009

a la reine astrid and serge alexandre

After all that rain on Friday the 13th, we had a LOT of sun, so much so that the temperature was said to be 20C (68F) to 25C (77F). I think Spring is coming soon, but then I looked at the weather forecast for the week and it looks like the temps will drop again on Tuesday...

Back up to the 4th, I went to Umeda to check out the chocolates at the department stores. I went with the intention "only to check out the names" of the chocolates for Camprini, but ended up buying some chocolates, actually 6 different things.

So, here are the first two.

A la Reine Astrid is a French chocolatier that has a shop in Tokyo. They didn't have a chocolate map of their bon-bons, so they let me take a photo of the descriptions that was in their showcase.

Mirabeau (top left)--a tonka bean praline with milk chocolate. This one had a heavy hazelnut flavor.

Pale Argent (top right)--Dominican cacao with a dark ganache, there was hints of berry and some tobacco.

Lamoignon (bottom left)--roasted almond hazelnut paste, I liked the roasted flavor really deep.

Lady (bottom right)--caramel ganache + gianduja, nice caramel flavor.

Serge Alexandre is a Belgian chocolatier who has a shop in Japan (Fukuoka).

I loved the packaging, it was an origami bag.

Open it up and there were the two bon-bons.

Praline Pistache (left)--almond paste, roasted pistachios with dark chocolate. This had a nice roasted flavor.

Le Coeur Chocolat (right)--a raspberry dark ganache covered with white chocolate--the flavors were balanced.

12 comments:

Lynne said...

Hi Kat! My family tested out the Petit Cakes and it was a hit. We have not been home much due to settling back in after being out of state. Seems like it never slows down. Hope you have a blessed day!

K and S said...

I'm glad you liked them, Lynne :)

Take care.
Kat

islegrl said...

Those chocolates are so pretty! I especially love that heart shaped one. Does Japan usually sell more selections of chocolate because of Valentine's Day? I don't recall seeing so many different ones whenever I'm out there.

I hope sakura won't be too early this year. I'm going to Japan at the end of March and I'm hoping to see the sakura.

K and S said...

Yes Islegrl, they bring more selections of chocolates for Valentines :) The weather has been unusually warm and some places have already started blooming, I hope you will be able to see the cherry blossoms!

Take care.
Kat

Helene said...

Kat, I am waiting with fervent anticipation pictures of cherry blossoms! It is my favorite part of the year (vicariously lived through flickr!!)and one I would love to experience in Japan!

Hope you had a wonderful Valentine's day.

K and S said...

Oh Tartlette, that is my favorite season here, I am also waiting for them to bloom :) I hope you get to experience them in Japan soon!

Take care and I hope you had a nice Valentine's also!
Kat

Deb in Hawaii said...

OK, did you really think you were only going to look at chocolate names? Denial, denial! ;-)

These all look so pretty and I bet they were good!

K and S said...

I know Deb :0 totally in denial...

They were delicious though :)

Take care.
Kat

Rowena said...

Awww Kat...when you're done with the chocolates, take apart that origami bag and show us how it's cut! (if you can bear to do it) Maybe I can find something on the net, but that little bag would be a NEAT idea for Easter candies.

Over here spring has definitely arrived but in some places around Italy old man winter doesn't wanna let loose his grip. Me? I already have fava beans sprouting in cups and more things to come!

K and S said...

eek! I better check the trash...though I think it may be gonners...sorry! Rowena.

Ah we had some sun and the temp went up and today...WHAM back down and brrr...

Take care.
Kat

Mike said...

Hello from New York! Those look so good. I love chocolate. Spring is coming here soon in New York. It is still cold though. In the 30s on most days.

K and S said...

Thanks Mike! our temps have since dropped and it is brrr now! Hope it warms up for you guys soon!

Take care.
Kat