Saturday, May 16, 2009

shoyu chicken

This past Tuesday, I was craving "home" for dinner.

As I was looking through "Wisteria Delights", I found a recipe for shoyu chicken.

It came out delicious. The chicken was tender and the sauce was..."not too sweet, not too salty...jus' right." (local joke!)

Of course, I had to pour some of the sauce onto my rice. I served this with some steamed green beans.

Shoyu Chicken adapted from "Wisteria Delights" : 12 pieces

Sauce: 1/2 cup shoyu (soy sauce)
2 tablespoons honey
1/2 cup brown sugar
1.5 cup water
1 2-inch piece sliced ginger
1 star anise
1 clove garlic, grated
about 1 pound chicken thighs, deboned
*************************************
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup green onions, cut into 1/2 inch pieces

Combine shoyu, honey, sugar, water, ginger, star anise and garlic in a large pot.
Bring to a boil.
Add the chicken, cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
After 45 minutes, remove chicken from pot and strain sauce.
Return sauce to pot and bring to a boil.
Add slurry, stirring it well.
Add green onions and pour the sauce over the chicken.
Serve with lots of rice.

NOTES: This was my first time trying this recipe and it was delicious. Reminded me of my mom's shoyu chicken. The chicken thighs I buy are deboned and cut into square pieces which is why I noted the amount of pieces rather than servings. Feel free to use the chicken thighs you normally buy.

p.s. we're away, will confirm your comments when we get back.

13 comments:

HanamiGallery said...

mmmm sounds tasty! thanx for sharing, now i must try to make it!

genkitummy said...

oh my goodness. i own two cookbooks (i'm not really into cookbooks) in illinois and that's one of them! my aunty gave it to me before i moved here!

K and S said...

I hope you like this Hanami :)

My mom gave me this book Genki, it is from her church :)

Thanks Laura :)

Take care everyone.
Kat

Bonnie said...

OMIG - I have been looking for a shoyu chicken recipe for awhile - THANKS! I miss local kine grindz!

Aloha, Bonnie

K and S said...

Oh good, I hope you like this version Bonnie :)

Take care.
Kat

KirkK said...

Hey KAt - Looks like a wonderful local kine cookbook......also brings back some memories. Wisteria was one of my Mom's favorite restaurants.....

K and S said...

Thanks Kirkk, this is a cookbook from my mom's church. We used to go to Wisteria restaurant sometimes also.

Take care.
Kat

Deb in Hawaii said...

Yum! It looks amazing--I love a good shoyu chicken,

K and S said...

Thanks Deb, if you try this recipe, I hope you like it :)

Take care.
Kat

Colin said...

Hi Kat,

I made this for dinner tonight. It was yummy. I didn't have star anise, so I put in a tablespoon of ouzo (anise flavored booze) instead.

My boyfriend says "Oishikatta yo". :-)

Greetings from Seattle.

K and S said...

Ooh that sounded like a good substitution Colin! Glad your BF liked it too :)

Take care.
Kat

Rumela said...

Wow!! that seems to be a scrumptious recipe. I love shoyu chicken. ooooooooh! my mouth is watering I will definitely make this weekend. thank you for shearing your post.

K and S said...

I hope you enjoy it Rumela :)

Take care.
Kat