Saturday, June 27, 2009

marukai and other stuff

I don't know about you, but the first thing that needs to get adjusted (besides my internal clock) when I come home are my feet (sorry for the ugly pic of my ugly feet). Not wearing slippers a.k.a. zori or anything similar for long periods of time in Japan, makes itself apparent with blisters between my big and 2nd toes as well as on the sides of my feet where the zori straps touch.

I power walked the length of Ala Moana Shopping Center the other day in a wooden thong and ow...that is what happened...oh, the remnant sunburn line?? That is what happens when you wear ballerina flats on a scorching Spring day in Kyoto...amazing how tan I can get on my feet but nowhere else...

Wednesday's lunch was from Marukai...Mini korean chicken US$2.59 + tax...7 pieces of super crunchy chicken slathered with a spicy sauce. Musubi made from gobo, red ginger and some edamame, and a few slices of takuan...so cheap and so good!

How green is your house? Ours got greener last year. Not only do we have solar panels (which I found out we've had since 1979!), but mom just installed some photovoltaic (sp?) cells.

She had been wanting to install some but was waiting for the price to go down and for someone to start installing them on homes (apparently when they first came out they were only installing them for businesses) She said her electric bill is super low now (US$30 a month). (Way to go Mom! I wish our apartment building in Japan would do something similar.)

10 comments:

Jann said...

oh, those poor feet!

Anonymous said...

Good for your mom! I don't exactly know what those photovaltic cells are, but I guess they save energy and money.

And I don't know if you want to edit your post, but it says "I power walked the length of Ala Moana Shopping Center the other day in a wooden thong and ow." I hope you meant "in wooden thongs." (You don't have to post this portion of my post if you don't want to, lol.)

Anonymous said...

I wonder how many people are going to misinterpret that "wooden thong" sentence? LOL

Tamakikat said...

Hi Kat.

Ouch! Poor you with all those blisters!

But, I think your feet look pretty with the polish.

Have you been walking on the beaches? What I'd give to have some sand under my feet and the sea to dive into.

That lunch looks and sounds delish.

Inspired by you I've been hunting down good bakeries in Kyoto this morning. Funnily enough I'm more into the pastries than the bread:)

After reading about your parents' green house I wish I'd stopped for some more plants on the way home. When I see greenery I feel cool.

From your friend full of pastries,

TK

OkiHwn said...

That's sort of what happens to me. I have those Scott rubber slippers with the some kind of cloth material straps. A well used pair I have here and a much newer pair at home. Whenever I went home I used the newer much stiffer pair and would always get the the red iritations where the toe strap would rub just above the big toe. Gotta put bandaids.

By the way - you do have "ugly feet"! Hee hee!

Rowena said...

That is some mean blisters - just looking at your feet makes me wince.

My dad has had solar panels for years, but what's nice is that he also has them for the rentals which extends the whole green way of thinking. I just wish they wouldn't depend so much on the dryer - Kauai get plenny sunshine!

Deb in Hawaii said...

Poor feet! Sadly I have the worst time with slippers, I keep buying them but never wearing them! ;-)

K and S said...

Thanks Deb! that is funny about your slippers :)

I know, my mom still uses her dryer too, Rowena.

Thanks Nate :)

Oh my what kinds of pastries have you been filling up on Tamakikat, do tell!

Thanks for the English tip Anon :p

Thanks Jann :) they are better now.

Take care everyone.
Kat

La Tartine Gourmande said...

Hope the blisters are healed now. But good to be home, eh?

K and S said...

Yes it is Bea :) I hear you are going home soon too, enjoy!

Take care.
Kat