Friday, June 26, 2009

hawaii shops

Some chocolatey finds here...

Fran's gray salt caramels from Foodland (R Fields section)...I picked up a box of three for US$2.99, these were on sale because the expiry date is coming up soon.

I loved these, gooey caramel covered in dark chocolate then topped with some gray salt. The salty-sweet combination is wonderful. (as you can see, these will not be making the trip back to Japan..ahem!)

Whole Foods opened in Kahala earlier this year, but my mom waited until I came home so that we could check it out together! We were excited to check out their chocolate section, because we'd heard so much from people who visited them on the mainland.

But upon going there, we were disappointed with the selection of chocolates. I did manage to find some ThinkProducts (non-chocolate). I think these are organic fruit bars/nut bars, which I saw in a health magazine. Before going, I had downloaded a coupon from their website. Hope these are good.

I also bought Vosges' Naga bar---curry, coconut flakes and deep milk chocolate. I've tried some of their other deep milk chocolate bars and loved them, so this is probably going to be just as good. (I was tempted to pick up another Mo's bar (the one with the salt and bacon), but resisted! I have a feeling that this Naga bar and the Thinkbars will be consumed in Hawaii!)

Whole Foods is a great place to buy "hard-to-find" ingredients for cooking, but my mom and I felt their chocolate selection was a bit weak.

Guess we'll have to keep hunting at our other stomping grounds for different chocolates.

10 comments:

Chibog in Chief said...

What a great find you've got there! I could imagine the taste of this chocolate with caramel and salt on it! yummy

Admin said...

Salt on chocolate... hmmm.. interesting.

Rowena said...

I love the fact that your mom has an opinion on the chocolate section. Dang she's got a keen taste!

K and S said...

It was a delicious combination Dhanggit :)

You should give this combo a try Mikuru :)

Thanks Rowena, I'll her you said so :)

Take care everyone!
Kat

Deb in Hawaii said...

Fran's are the best--very addicting and that is such a great price. WF could do better on their chocolate for sure. I like the Vosges Naga Bar but their Barcelona Bar still has my heart. ;-)

K and S said...

You should try the bacon bar, Deb :) I've tried the barcelona bar too and loved it too :)

Take care.
Kat

holly said...

The naga is my absolute favorite. I had the opportunity to try their naga ice cream at the fancy food show a few years ago. Wow. Amazing. I didn't know what to expect with curry ice cream, but it was so so good. Now I just wish I could get some locally!

K and S said...

ooh that sounds really delicious Holly! I hope you are able to find some locally :)

Take care.
Kat

holly said...

Unfortunately, nobody in the DC area sells it. :( vosges sells it online, but it's $45 for all 4 of their, which is crazy expensive and I'm assuming the shipping would cost more than the ice cream!

I've recently been experimenting with making non-dairy coconut milk ice cream after buying some at whole foods (fell in love, but at about $6 per pint, too expensive to keep buying). Maybe I'll tinker with a curryish flavor!

K and S said...

yipes Holly $45 is expensive even for 4 flavors...I hope with your tweaking you get close to what you tried :)

Take care.
Kat