Saturday, October 10, 2009

foodie friday in kyoto

Met up with Tamakikat yesterday for an adventure in Kyoto. Our day started out at the Hosomi Museum, near the Heian Shrine. This museum is owned by a businessman and everything shown are collections that have been accumulated over the years by his family.

The exhibit we saw was of Suzuki Kiitsu's works. His scroll paintings were very beautiful.

The only complaint I had was that the exhibit we saw was so small, definitely not worth the 1000 yen (about US$10) we paid for admission.

After the museum we headed over to Heian Shrine to sit and chat. It was a beautiful sunny day and they were getting ready for the Jidai Matsuri (Period Festival). I think this happens every year on October 22. People are chosen to wear traditional costumes from different periods in Japanese history. I went to this with my MIL the first year we moved to Japan in 2001 (pre-blog). It was a L-O-N-G parade but definitely worth seeing.

We then walked a few streets over to Nama Chocolat. I first heard about this cafe in Cocoaroma magazine and had been interested in checking it out.

Usually when I go to Kyoto with Satoshi we only go to visit his mom, so this outing with Tamakikat was a good chance to check it out.

Tamakikat has been here several times and really enjoys the atmosphere. It is very calm and peaceful.

I tried their chocolat set this came with 3 pieces of ganache (what the Japanese call nama chocolat) and an espresso. 650 yen (about US$6.50). From left to right: Austrian herb liquer, matcha (green tea) and Okinawan kokuto (black sugar). My favorite was the herb liquer.

The only thing that bothered me was that these pieces were served frozen. I am not too certain if this is how they are served regularly, but I guess it surprised me. I was expecting a soft creamy feel in the mouth. I am glad I got to check this place out though.
From the Heian Shrine area, we walked to Kiyamachi.

There is an area called Ichinofunairi, apparently there used to be many waterways in Kyoto where people and merchandise were transported. We stopped into a Chinese restaurant called Ichi no Funairi. The restaurant overlooks a tiny river.

We both ordered the lunch set 1500 yen (about US$15). This came with your choice of entree, salad, shumai, soup, tsa tsai (pickled mustard tuber), rice and dessert. Dessert was a coconut milk pudding (which I think is pannacotta). I chose Subuta (sweet sour pork) for my entree. It was filling and delicious.

The only thing about this place is that they close at 14:00 to prep for dinner, which means if you are finished eating, you need to leave.

Even though some things didn't turn out too well, it was a nice Autumn day full of culture, food and chatting. Thanks for a great day Tamakikat!

Hosomi Museum
6-3 Saishoji-cho
Okazaki, Sakyo-ku
Kyoto
Phone: 075.752.5555
Closed Mondays and when the exhibits are changing

Kyoto Nama Chocolat
76-15 Tenno-cho
Okazaki, Sakyo-ku
Kyoto
Phone: 075.751.2678
Open Wednesdays-Sundays, 12:00-17:00

Ichi no Funairi
537-50 Ichinofunairi-cho
Nakagyo-ku, Kyoto
Phone: 075.256.1271

5 comments:

OkiHwn said...

This was after the typhoon passed?

Deb in Hawaii said...

Sounds like a fun day. I have eaten ganache frozen before but I am with you, half the pleasure is that creamy mouthfeel.

K and S said...

yup Nate, I think the typhoon passed us on Wednesday night, this was on Friday.

Thanks Debinhawaii :)

Take care you two.
Kat

Rowena said...

Well I'm glad that you got to check everything out with TK, even if there were a couple of disappointments. While I was reading this though, one question popped into my head. You're gonna laugh! Uhhh...when you and TK visit, do you speak in english or japanese? When I was in Milan, I didn't realize that I was answering in italian when one of our friends was speaking in english (although he is italian). I thought that was pretty funny. ^-^

K and S said...

Thanks Rowena, TK and I speak English for the most part, and Japanese when we need to, like to order food etc. Your story of Milan is funny though I have done that before too :)

Take care.
Kat