Thursday, October 08, 2009

trying new recipes

Recently, I tried Ellie Krieger's Grilled Thai Beef Salad recipe.

This recipe takes some pre-planning because the meat needs to be marinated.

I used nampla (fish sauce) instead of shoyu (soy sauce) and sweet chili sauce instead of garlic chili sauce because these are the ingredients I had.

I didn't have the amount of lime juice, but I think if I did, the flavors would have been brighter.

Also, I didn't have cilantro and used up some Italian parsley. I know the flavors are different, but I really needed to use the parsley up.

I browned some yellow onions and added some sliced carrots and cucumber to the salad.

I thought the flavors would be overpowering but they were quite subtle. With a glass of merlot, it was a great dinner.

UPDATE: adding the lime zest to the sauce is also delicious.

9 comments:

Deb in Hawaii said...

It looks great. Thai Beef Salad is such a great dinner-not too heavy but has substance.

Dennis K. said...

Hi K&S, you totally reminded me that I need to cook more.. Wish I were more disciplined about using up stuff in my fridge!

Jenster said...

Kat, I love how you improvise on recipes using the ingredients you have on hand. I do that sometimes and just hold my breath, hoping that the recipe will turn out okay.

Your salad looks very refreshing, especially in hot weather.

KirkK said...

Hey Kat - Please tell me the recipe in the book doesn't use just soy sauce and no fish sauce....

K and S said...

It was good Debinhawaii :)

I try to use up what I have especially in the fridge first Dennis :)

I think there will be more soup recipes soon Jenster :)

Okay I won't Kirk...

Take care everyone.
Kat

Rowena said...

Whenever I see the word nampla, patis, or stinky fish sauce, I go kind of nuts. It has to be one of my most important ingredients in the kitchen! Love the vegs in this too.

K and S said...

The original recipe uses only soy sauce Rowena, so I used nampla cuz I figured if I didn't it, would be teriyaki not thai. :0

Take care.
Kat

Chibog in Chief said...

Definitely one of my fave Thai Beef Salad! Love the idea of using nampla :-) what veggies did you put on your recipe by the way?

K and S said...

Thanks Dhanggit, I used lettuce, carrot, cucumber, and some onions.

Take care.
Kat