Wednesday, February 17, 2010

hara donuts

Recently, Tamakikat posted about Hara Donuts.

These donuts started from a shop in Kobe that makes tofu (soy bean curd). After looking at the address for the tofu shop, I figured out that it is located near my host family's home.

On the website, I saw that they have a shop in Osaka, so I went to check them out after French class yesterday. (I didn't know it at the time, but it was "Fat Tuesday".)

I really wanted to try their ko-cha (earl grey) donut, but they didn't have this flavor on this day, so I chose 4 different ones for Satoshi and I to try.

Hara Donut--the original, made from tonyu(soy milk) and okara(soy lees).

Tamba Kuromame Kinako--Tamba is an area in Kyoto that is famous for their black beans. This donut is sprinkled with roasted kuromame (black bean) and kinako (soy bean powder), this one had a nice nuttiness flavor to it.

Satsumaimo--sweet potato, there were crunchy bits of sweet potato in the donut.

Ponkan--this donut was frosted with a citrus icing. (by the way, ponkan is a type of citrus.)

Hara Donuts : this shop is no longer at this address
2-1-38 Dojima
Kita-ku, Osaka
Phone: 06.6341.0826
Open from 11:00-21:00 or until their donuts sell out

I liked them all since they were not heavy like cake donuts. They reminded me of those soy milk donuts in Kyoto's Nishiki market. I want to try their rolled cake at their sister store, Hara Roll, but that will have to wait for another time.

19 comments:

KirkK said...

Donuts made from okara! Wow, that's something I'd like to try....

genkitummy said...

mmm...donuts! I just had a homemade one for fat tuesday today! i am really intrigued by those hara donuts (made with soy milk and okara)!

Pomai said...

Wow, donuts made with soy milk and soy lees, eh? That's gotta' be the healthiest donuts I've ever heard of!

How are they cooked? Deep-fried? Baked? Steamed?

Anonymous said...

How interesting. These don't sound anything like traditional donuts! They look like they are still deep fried though, so I imagine they would be rather nice!

Unknown said...

Sounds delicious! I love donuts... ate a ton last week. :)

K and S said...

I hope you do soon Kirk :)

Thanks Genki, they are still fried so I don't think they are THAT healthy ;)

Fried, Pomai, so I guess the healthy balances out the bad :)

Anything fried usually is Momiji ;)

Lucky you Rick :)

Take care everyone!
Kat

Rowena said...

These would be breakfast for me!

K and S said...

I could probably eat them for breakfast too Rowena :)

Take care.
Kat

jalna said...

Iiiiinteresting!

K and S said...

You can't taste the tofu or okara Jalna, just donut :)

Take care.
Kat

Lori said...

Hi Kat,
I had my first okara donut in Asakusa two months ago - loved it!

K and S said...

Lori, I think by adding okara and or tofu, you can cut some of the calories in the donut even if it is deep fried :)

Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

very interesting-sounding donuts.

paz

K and S said...

Paz, I think if I gave you one without telling you it was made from tofu, you may like it :)

Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

LOL! I just may!

Paz ;-)

K and S said...

:) we definitely have to meet up in person someday Paz!!

Take care.
Kat

Lori said...

Yeah, I think so - cuts down a little on the guilt of eating donuts! :) I liked that the one we tried wasn't oily at all.

Deb in Hawaii said...

Great flavors--I hope you get to try that Earl Grey one sometime! ;-)

K and S said...

Lori :)

me too Debinhawaii :)

Take care you two.
Kat