Sunday, February 14, 2010

jalna's brownies

It is Valentine's Day, where guys "rule" and women have to profess their love for them by giving them chocolate...ha! (though I did buy some chocolate for Satoshi)

Still, I guess I'll look forward to White Day.

I had bookmarked this recipe awhile back and finally got around to making them.

I kinda altered part of the recipe because I was lazy to take out some butter from the freezer (so I added oil) and I also thought there was too much sugar in the recipe for me.

Jalna's original recipe and post is here.

Here is what I did.

3/4 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup cocoa

1/2 cup sugar
5 tablespoons EVOO
2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 eggs
1 cup chocolate chips (used 60% Ghiradelli)
1/2 cup nuts (used pecans)

Put the nuts and chocolate chips with the first 3 ingredients so that they don't sink to the bottom when baking.

Mix the sugar, EVOO, water & extract well, add the eggs. Mix well.

Combine with the dry ingredients and mix well.

Put into 6 muffin papers and bake 325F (170C) for 30-35 minutes.

NOTES: I put the batter into muffin papers because whenever I bake, my pans have to fit on the turntable in my oven to bake evenly. I do have square pans that fit on my turntable, but I was again, too lazy to butter and flour it.

These came out a little dry (maybe I should have baked them only 30 minutes??), but delicious, especially with some black coffee.

You don't have to spend a lot on Valentines, just give your special someone a hug, hope you have a great day.

Hey, it is also Chinese New Years, let the Year of the Tiger begin! Kung Hee Fat Choy!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

yum!

happy valentine's!

paz

Admin said...

Don't worry Kat, I can smell Satoshi is cooking up something good for you on White day ^^

Kim said...

I first learned about White Day a few years ago when I read the manga series Fruits Basket (who says you can't learn things from comic books) Haha!

Brownie looks awesome. I like that you used muffin papers.

K and S said...

Thanks Abebe!

Thanks Paz, Happy Valentines to you!

ha ha, I hope so Mikuru :)

I think there are many who learn about Japan through manga, Pocky :)

Take care everyone!
Kat

jalna said...

Wow, those look yummy!

Deb in Hawaii said...

The brownies look delicious. Happy Valentine's Day. ;-)

K and S said...

Thanks for sharing your recipe Jalna :)

Thanks Debinhawaii, hope you had a nice day!

Take care you two.
Kat

Rowena said...

Valentine's day for us came and went without much notice since we were off someplace else. We did pick up some chocolates the day before though!

K and S said...

I'm sure they were delicious Rowena :)

Take care.
Kat