Monday, March 08, 2010

me-li-le-pi om!

"Me-li-le-pi Om!" Is a Zen mantra...not!

The weather on Thursday was cold and rainy so I stayed indoors and tried to keep myself entertained by making some sunshine.

The "mantra" stands for Mexican Lime Lemon Pistachio Olive oil Muffins...I shortened it because, well, it was too long! (See what happens when I stay indoors all day long??...)

I've been intrigued with many posts about olive oil cakes/muffins. Looking at the many online recipes, it seems as though they use olive oil in place of butter, so using a muffin recipe that I always use, I subbed a Mexican Lime Olive Oil which I had received from my cousin way back when.

The oil was amazingly still good and very fragrant.

I had intended to also put some lemon juice into the batter (squeezed the lemon and everything) but totally forgot to, so the recipe only has the zest of a lemon in there (and I had a nice yet sour apertif while waiting for these to bake).

The muffins came out very moist, citrus flavors are strong with a little crunch from a handful of pistachios (should've added a little more!). (I received the pistachios from Rowena, thank you!)

Here is the recipe if you'd like to try it: makes 6
150 grams flour
6 grams baking powder
1 egg
80 grams sugar
50 grams Queen Creek Mexican Lime Olive Oil
70 mililiters milk
handful of pistachios
zest of 1 lemon, minced

Sift flour and baking powder, set aside.
Throw in zest and pistachios into flour mixture to coat

With a hand mixer, beat egg and sugar
Add in oil and milk, beat a little longer

Add the wet mixture to the dry and mix well with a rubber spatula

Bake at 180C (350F) for about 25 minutes.

NOTES: Actually, I was envisioning a lemon poppy olive oil muffin, but couldn't find black poppy seeds, only white. Then I got to thinking about the pistachios I received from Rowena and lemon. And then remembered I had the lime olive oil tucked away in my cupboard.

Anyway, this was very citrusy and moist. I would definitely make this again especially when I am too lazy to defrost some butter.

Even though the weather outside was miserable, I'd say there was a lot of sunshine in my kitchen.

8 comments:

jalna said...

Hahahaha. I love your mantra! The muffin looks very moist. Your forgetting to add in the already squeezed lemon juice sounds like something I would do.

K and S said...

Thanks Jalna, once when I was baking I even forgot to put the egg! ha!

Take care.
Kat

Lindsay-Jean said...

They look just as delicious as they'd sounded - thanks for sharing the recipe!

Anonymous said...

LOL! I love your shortened version of the title and I love the sound and look of your muffins. Yum!

Paz

Deb in Hawaii said...

A great combination of ingredients--love the pistachios with the lemon--yum!

K and S said...

Thanks Paz & Debinhawaii :)

Take care you two.
Kat

Rowena said...

Good for you on making creative (and scrumptious) use of time being stuck in the house. I've only seen chocolate nut flour cakes with olive oil instead of butter, so it's interesting to see the mention of mexican lime olive oil here. Hope you'll be able to get out more....today it was sunny but 2°C with a stiff wind -- I had to walk the dogs, but my face felt as if a thousand needles were attacking it!

K and S said...

Thanks Rowena, the sun peeked out today, so I went walking for a bit, supposed to rain again tomorrow though :( Ouch! needles attacking doesn't sound fun, hope you are feeling better too!

Take care.
Kat