Saturday, October 02, 2010

tommy's

Got a chance to meet up with my host-brother's wife, Kazumi the other day for lunch. She has 3 children all under 10 so for her to get some time for herself is very rare.

Now that her littlest one is in pre-school, she said that she wanted to get together for lunch.

We met up in Kobe and tried an Indian restaurant called Sonarupa. They don't take reservations for lunch so we tried to get there as soon as the place opened.

We both ordered the "Bombay" set 1000 yen (about US$10). This started off with a really flavorful curry soup.

Next came a salad with some chicken tikka (which reminded me of tandoori chicken) and chicken seekh kebab. Everything had just enough spices and was so delicious.

A little dish of their vegetable curry and some freshly made naan.

We had a nice time chatting and enjoying the food. (sorry no photos, was too busy chatting and eating).

Then we walked over to Green House Silva, a cafe near the station.

I visited this cafe back in 2007, and I was surprised I remembered where it was.

We both had decadent chocolatey treats and coffees...and did lots more chatting.

Before Kazumi rushed off to pick up her children from school, she gave me this loaf of bread.

It was from a bakery in Kobe called Tommy's.

This particular loaf had "an" (ahn/sweet bean paste) in it. It was HEAVY!

When cut open, there are many pockets where the sweet bean paste was. The crust was very hard but the inside very soft, fluffy.

The first morning we had this, I sliced this bread thick and toasted it then spread a smidge of cream cheese....yum!

The next morning we had it again with a pat of butter...oh my!

Both ways were definitely delicious. I think the bread itself is a brioche type because it was kind of buttery.

They have various types of this loaf, matcha with sweet bean paste as well as plain.

I heard these loaves are quite popular, next time I'm in Kobe, I think I'll pick up a loaf, if they have any left.

Sonarupa
2-2-9 Shimoyamatedori, Light House 3F
Chuo, Kobe
Phone: 078.322.0252
Closed Wednesdays
Lunch: 11:30-14:00, Dinner: 17:30-21:30

Tommy's Sannomiya
1-31 Kitanagasadori, Kokashita (shopping arcade) 35
Chuo, Kobe
Phone: 078.333.8820
Open: 8:00-20:00 : take-out only

9 comments:

Rona Y said...

Have you ever been to Kusum Homba in Kobe? It's a bit weird (it's in an apartment building, so when you walk in, you feel like you're invading someone's apartment) and they only have one vegetarian thali that's always the same (for lunch and dinner!), but it's really quite good. Plus you get free refills on everything in the thali except the samosa! (Which is a shame, because they have excellent samosa).

I'm making lists for places to eat when I visit Kansai in December, so I'm browsing your archives for ideas. :-)

Jude said...

Wow, that bread looks like a slice of heaven! I love dense breads (means there's something to it! :)). Also like the sound of the Indian place - love Indian (maybe because there weren't enough good Indian restaurants in Hawaii growing up!)

Rowena said...

Delicious! (and that bread is putting ideas in my head.)

genkitummy said...

That an bread looks good! The next time I make bread I think I'll try to incorporate an an paste.

K and S said...

I remember you telling me about a great samosa place Rona, will look this place up now...if you have some time maybe we could meet up for coffee when you visit?

yeah, I don't remember many Indian restaurants when growing up in Hawaii Jude.

Rowena, he he :)

Hope it works for you Genki.

Take care everyone.
Kat

Deb in Hawaii said...

Lunch sounds good and that bread looks delicious too!

K and S said...

Debinhawaii,
Lunch was really good and the bread is all gone :)

Take care.
Kat

K said...

Yum, like an anpan in toast form- sounds tasty!

K and S said...

Tasty indeed K :)

Take care.
Kat