Tuesday, November 23, 2010

kyuanji

Sunday was a beautiful sunny day. Since Satoshi has been working late, he hasn't had much time to check out the fall foliage.

Kyuanji, which we've been to several times was at noted at being at "migoro" (their best viewing time), so I asked him if he would like to go.

He was game, so we headed out.

When we arrived at Ikeda, we found out we had missed a bus and that we would have to wait about a half hour for the next one.

So instead of just hanging around the bus station, we went to Starbucks for a little chocolate and coffee...the chocolate was semi-sweet with crispies, almonds and citrus peel.

You could taste the crispies more than anything...meh! Plus, I was bummed that there were only 3 of these mounds...

After our mid-morning snack, we got the bus and reached the temple a little after 10:30. There was a lot of excitement as they were busily preparing for their Momiji Matsuri (festival of maple).

The maple trees were nice and red this year.
The maple trees that didn't have direct sunlight were yellow or green and gave a nice contrast to the red and orange ones.

There were quite a number of people, and they were even selling some food and fresh veggies.

There were many camellia (tsubaki) in full bloom too.
Then at about 11, they started the procession into the main hall.

The men in the front of the procession were yamabushi and blew horagai (conch). The sound reminded me of when parades start in Hawaii.

I took a little video which I'll put at the end of the post. It is taken a little far away from the procession (no one was allowed to go any closer), but you can hear the conch blowing and get an idea as to the size of the place.

It was such a beautiful day and the temperature was near 20C (68F).

Of course, while we were perspiring away, we came upon someone who had dressed like they were in Siberia or from somewhere fahreezing (the lady with the earmuffs!)...of course, after seeing her we were perspiring even more!

Oh well, it was still a beautiful day.

8 comments:

Jude said...

How amazing. I love the video and also the foliage (it's pretty much gone where I am!) So funny too, even before I read as far, I wondered if you would like the Starbucks sweets, thinking: I bet it turns out blah! Heheh. (I know I'm being unfair to Starbucks!)

K and S said...

yeah their snacks can be hit or miss Jude :)

Take care.
Kat

KirkK said...

You keep teasing me with all that fall foliage Kat!

sarah said...

I can't believe that girl is wearing earmuffs. I read somewhere that in Japan, people don't start wearing weather appropriate clothes till it is officially winter/summer, etc. When I was there last, it was cold and we saw so many girls with miniskirts.
I bought a chicken salad sandwich from Starbucks in Japan, it had one small piece if chicken in it and the rest was lettuce and seeded mustard. It was terrible. I do miss the iced chocolates though

Rowena said...

Your fall foliage posts are so gorgeous but Kat! 20°C???? Just reading that part made me little bit envious - this morning it was 4°C outside! Anyway, the video was a nice little "escape" to a place still glowing in fall foliage. Cool!

K and S said...

I know, 20C was really nice Rowena, today the temp dropped 5 and felt really cold with the Northern winds.

I dunno what fashion trends people follow here Sarah, but as soon as October 1st came around, everyone was wearing long boots! *perspire* and the weather was in the mid-20sC!!

Sorry Kirk :0

Take care everyone.
Kat

Deb in Hawaii said...

Such a beautiful place to visit--all the pictures are just gorgeous. ;-)

K and S said...

thanks Debinhawaii :)

Take care.
Kat