Monday, January 31, 2011

chocolate finds

Recently came across these covered almonds.

Meiji, a well-known Japanese candy company & Kameda, a well-known Japanese snack company got together and came up with this.

The almonds are first covered with a thin wafer.

Then, Kameda's kakinotane (spicy rice crackers that look like persimmon seeds) are crushed and used along with Meiji's milk chocolate to cover the almonds.

Satoshi and I both agree, they can do without the almonds in the middle, somehow the flavors don't match.

Another variation of this tie-up is chocolate covered kakinotane.

This was nice and spicy.

Black cocoa baum kuchen with a dark chocolate glaze by MUJI.

Wow, this was rich...good.

Valrhona's Equinoxe series...dark chocolate (55%) covered almonds & hazelnuts.

The nuts are not roasted but are delicious with their semi-dark chocolate covering.

I say semi-dark because I don't feel that 55% can be called "dark".

Another item is the dark chocolate (55%) covered puffed cereal.

Crispies...yum!

As February rolls around, I think there will be more chocolate finds...

11 comments:

rowena said...

Well now that explains the swooning over the teddy bear cookie...you are definitely on a chocolate FIX!

Japan Australia said...

Wow!! Lots of chocolate today. Meiji do a good chocolate covered cashew and macadamia nut, but I don`t know about the new almond one, it doesn`t look right.

K and S said...

sometimes Rowena, I think I am on a permanent chocolate fix :)

Take care.
Kat

Deb in Hawaii said...

As always, living vicariously through your chocolate finds. ;-)

K and S said...

thanks J-A, I usually like Meiji's chocolate almonds, but this version wasn't too good.

Thanks Deb in Hawaii :)

Take care you two.
Kat

Sarah said...

I love baumkuchen! When I was in Japan last I tried salted chocolate and i think butter flavour. I saw them making it in Ginza too, which was really cool. I'm so jealous that you can buy it!

K and S said...

I hope you get a chance to come back to Japan Sarah :)

Take care.
Kat

K said...

Mmm...chocolate!

My mom got me chocolate-covered kaki no tane from Muji in Japan as well- I loved it!

K and S said...

yes K, Muji's choc kaki no tane is good too :)

Take care.
Kat

manju said...

Yes, you are definitely on a permanent chocolate fix! Love these finds... esp. the chocolate covered kaki no tane. That's new to me, definitely don't see those around here. Might have to make my own!

K and S said...

If I am not mistaken, Wholesale Unlimited has a similar version Manju :)

Take care.
Kat