Monday, January 24, 2011

creme de caramel au beurre sale

I don't know about you, but I am easily influenced by what others blog about...like creme de caramel au beurre sale (aka salted butter caramel sauce).

If I can't find it where I am, then I'm interested in trying to make it myself.

Anyway, awhile back, Kathy travelled to France and enjoyed jars of this stuff.

I happened across bottles of this in an import shop in Osaka and bought one to try.

It wasn't the exact same brand that she had tried but it was still from Bretagne (Brittany), France, where this type of sauce is well-known.

In fact, this sauce was darker than the one she tried.

I put it in the refrig and finally opened the bottle the other night.

I was amazed because even with the sauce being kept in the refrig, the sauce is soft, spreadable.

I zapped a tablespoon of the sauce and drizzled it over vanilla ice cream.

The sauce still stayed soft even on ice cream.

It was delicious! Salty and sweet. I think the next time I'm trying this on pancakes, I should actually try making crepes...hmm.

UPDATE: this is good on pancakes, tried it yesterday at breakfast.

13 comments:

jalna said...

Ohhhh that ice cream photo . . . ohhhh!!

K and S said...

Jalna, it was ohhh!

Take care.
Kat

Tamakikat said...

Mmm caramel...

If you want to make crepe-type pancakes Deliah Smith's are the bomb! The recipe is online just google her name and pancakes.

Deb in Hawaii said...

Salty and sweet it works for me. Bet it is wonderful on crepes. ;-)

Japan Australia said...

That ice-cream picture looks so delicious. Caramel and ice-cream has to be the best ever combo. I don't think salted butter caramel sauce is too difficult to make at home. I guess we should give it a go.

K and S said...

thanks TK, I'll do that :)

Thanks Deb in Hawaii :)

Thanks J-A, I've actually made a caramel sauce, more like dulce de leche which Japanese call milk jam :)

Take care everyone.
Kat

Kathy YL Chan said...

Ahh now I wish I had brought back jars to NYC! ;) Looks so good on the ice cream :)

K and S said...

I would think in NYC you would be able to get your hands on some, Kathy :)

Take care.
Kat

Rowena said...

Shucks! And here I was going to say that you could just go to France and get some jars for yourself. Ahem! I just commented on the broken pants post!

K and S said...

I hope to Rowena, just don't know when :)

Take care.
Kat

manju said...

Just discovered this at Trader Joe's and had to hide it from myself. I tried a spoonful out of the jar and immediately put it in the outside "kimchi" fridge so I don't see it every day.... Now, of course, you've reminded me it's there...

K said...

Yum yum yum! I would probably try to put it on anything/everything like I do with Nutella, haha!

K and S said...

You are brave to put it into your kim chee fridge Manju, hope it hasn't affected the taste!

Lol K!

Take care you two.
Kat