Sunday, January 02, 2011

new years eve

Thought I'd give you a little peek into New Years Eve, Hawaii style (well, Japanese American style).

We start off with this...kasane mochi (stacked rice cakes) to pray for a good year.

And a homemade kadomatsu.

Some of this.

A little nishime.

Baked ribs.

Kuromame (black beans).

Some tako (octopus) with su-miso (vinegary miso).

Inarizushi (cone sushi).

Soba (buckwheat noodles).

Chinese roast duck.

Some mac-potato salad.

And at midnight, some of this.

Hope your New Years Eve was a safe and happy one.

12 comments:

K said...

Akemashite omedetou gozaimasu! Everything looks great :o)

We're about to have a little (as in not EVERYTHING) Japanese New Year's meal too- some kamaboko, kurikinton, and mochi!

KirkK said...

Happy New Year Kat! Nishime, Inarizushi, and Soba.... a totally classic New Year from my youth! ;o)

jalna said...

Happy New Years, Kat. I'm still so full from lunch that I was gonna skip dinner, but seeing your pictures makes me wanna go grab a little snack!

Kumiko said...

Nice to meet you.I moved from Mino (Sakuragaoka)to Nara because of marriage 4 years ago. My father live in Mino now.I miss my hometown.Your blog is so cool.
I wish you happy new year!

Jonathan said...

Looks good, makes me miss Hawaii! Glad that you are feeling better so you can enjoy the ono grindz. Happy New Year!

tofugirl said...

That's quite a spread! Looks yummy :D Happy new year!

Rowena said...

Oh if I could only have teleported myself along with that last new year's greeting in the previous post. Look at all the incredible GRINDZ!!!!!!!

K and S said...

love kurikinton K!

yup these are the classics Kirk :)

snacktime Jalna :)

Nice to meet you too Kumiko :)

thanks Jonathan, hope you are enjoying your New Years also :)

HNY Tofugirl :)

teleportation and smell-o-vision are what we need next online Rowena :)

Take care everyone.
Kat

Deb in Hawaii said...

Great pictures! A very belated Happy New Year to you!
(Can't believe how behind in reading posts I got). ;-)

K and S said...

no prob Deb in Hawaii! I know you are really busy.

Take care.
kat

manju said...

Sooooo jealous!!!
; p

K and S said...

thanks Manju :)

Take care.
Kat