Tuesday, March 29, 2011

hikone

Friday, Satoshi took the afternoon off and we met up after lunch to go to Hikone.

We've gone in the past for family events, and did some galavanting on our own, but it was the first time for us to spend several days there.

Hikone is located near the shores of Lake Biwa.

The weather was forecasted to be rainy, but little did we know that the rain would turn to hail and sleet.

When we arrived it was about 17:00 so we went to check-in at the Hikone Kita Art Hotel. We chose this hotel because the next day, we wanted to visit Chikubushima, a tiny island located on the lake.

After getting settled, we decided to seek out some dinner but were instead met up with cold, icy rain.

It is about a 15 minute walk to an area called Castle Road. It is quite a touristy area, but they have the most choices for meals, especially since we didn't have a car.

We decided to check out a steak shop called Yakigyu Takashi.

This small shop is only open in the evenings but serves Omi beef, the area's brand name beef.

Almost always when you go to an izakaya (bar) in Japan, they bring out tsukidashi (amuse bouche which translates to "stuff you didn't order but need to pay for") on this night we had some fish with a tomato sauce, octopus sunomono (seasoned with some vinegar) & kinpira gobo.

We also ordered a daikon salad with ume dressing, some fried octopus (karaage style), Omi Beef Japanese style and cubed Omi Beef.

Everything was delicious and we thought pretty reasonable considering it was their "brand name" beef...total was about 5500 yen (about US$55).

As we walked back to the hotel, the rain had stopped, but when we stopped into the convenience store to pick up some water and some snacks, we were met with hail on our way back to the hotel.

The weather wasn't too good, but we had a nice dinner, the worst of the weather was to come though...

Hikone Kita Art Hotel
1-23 Motomachi
Hikone, Shiga
Phone: 0749.27.9900

Yakigyu Takashi
2-3-3 Honmachi
Hikone, Shiga
Phone: 0749.23.3644
Open: 17:00-23:00, Closed on Mondays

14 comments:

Japan Australia said...

Hikone is a great place to visit and Lake Biwa is one of my favourite holiday spots in Japan. I actually prefer the other side of the lake near Takashima, which is more beautiful with the mountains and crystal clear waters.

Japan Australia

Unknown said...

Ack, Rain, Hail & Sleet! Sounds cold! I've gotta get around to more things like this when I get to go to Japan the next time. Oh but without the rain, hail & sleet.

OkiHwn said...

Ah, the tsukidashi. The places I ended up going to all the time stopped doing it to me.

K and S said...

I don't think I've been to Takashima J-A, will have to put it on my list "to go".

Yeah, it was kind of hard getting around Rick, but we did end up doing a lot :)

I guess we gotta be more regular, Nate :)

Take care everyone.
Kat

Nami @ Just One Cookbook.com said...

I have been to Lake Biwa but I don't think I've been to Hikone. I'm so envious that you ate good food!!! More food pictures please! =P

Christina Kim said...

Sounds like a nice place, I hope I will get to go there someday!~ :)

Rowena said...

I'm dreading what the worst will be. If I were to be stuck in conditions like that with the DOGS...oh that Mr B would not let us forget about it too soon.

K and S said...

Next time you come to Japan, I hope you get a chance to visit Hikone, Nami :)

I hope so too Christy :)

Stay tuned Rowena :)

Take care everyone.
Kat

KirkK said...

Oooh, that last sentence sounds ominous Kat!

jalna said...

Oooooo, karaage style fried tako . . . sounds ono!

Deb in Hawaii said...

Bummer about the weather and the "worse to come" but dinner look worth getting a little wet. ;-)

K and S said...

Kirk oooh :p

ono indeed Jalna :)

definitely worth getting a little wet Deb in Hawaii :)

Take care everyone.
Kat

Pandabonium said...

"stuff you didn't order but need to pay for" - LOL.

Kimie and I have a standing joke about weather on trips - whenever we go anywhere without an umbrella, it rains. If we buy a couple, it stops raining. If we bring them with us, we carry them around for no reason. Must be a perverse law of the universe.

K and S said...

I hear you on those umbrellas PB, now we carry foldable types :)

Take care.
Kat