Friday, October 28, 2011

goya

The temperature is supposed to drop to the lower 10s Celsius (50s Fahrenheit), so I picked the one and only goya that grew this year.

It got bigger than a week or two ago...from around 10 centimeters to 17 centimeters!

With part of it, I sauteed it with some lup cheong. It was delicious, the sweetness from the lup cheong helped to cut the bitterness.

And with the rest I made goya tsukudani.

I really wanted to make stuffed goya, but I didn't have any cilantro growing and the goya was a little too teeny to stuff.

I saved the seeds from this goya...hopefully next year I'll have more goya to show you.

It is Friday here, the temps have dropped quite a bit over here, though they are talking about summery weather in a couple of days, WT?! Hope you have a nice weekend.

13 comments:

A. Jarrett Wheatley said...

That's quite big for that variety of goya. There's another variety that's smoother and usually quite a bit bigger, too.

jalna said...

Two dishes from your goya! Awesome!

Arianna said...

No. No no no.
Goya is waaaaay too bitter!!!
I tried it in any way possible..
And even while thinking "it's bitter but good for health", it was still too bitter!! =_=
It might very well be the most bitter thing I've ever eaten!!!

K and S said...

I've seen that smoother variety in Hawaii Jarrett but not in Japan :)

Thanks Jalna :)

yes yes Arianna, goya is so good :)

Take care everyone.
Kat

Rowena said...

Congrats on getting atleast one goya! Yum with the lup cheong too.

Japan Australia said...

Goya is a great summer food and we love it in Goya Champuru :)

Japan Australia

K and S said...

Thanks Rowena, I'm amazed that 1 even grew.

Thanks J-A, champuru is a good way to have goya!

Take care you two.
Kat

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

The tsukudani looks delish! I've never had goya... can you believe it?

K and S said...

you should try it next time you come to Japan, Nami :)

Take care.
Kat

Unknown said...

I should do that with the goya in our refrigerator. Looks delicious.

K and S said...

hope you like it Rick :)

Take care.
Kat

Deb in Hawaii said...

It looks like it ended up being a good size. Good growing! ;-)

K and S said...

Thanks Deb :)

Take care.
Kat