Sunday, October 09, 2011

new recipes

I recently came across a recipe for ginger syrup in the September issue of "Elle a Table".

The first recipe showed how to make the syrup and then in the same section, there were recipes which used the syrup.

Take even parts of ginger and honey.

Cut off any dried out areas of the ginger and throw this part away.

Wash your ginger (with the skin on) and slice thin.

In an air tight glass container (a bottle is good), add the sliced ginger then add the honey, let sit for 20 to 30 minutes, stir once in awhile.

After the 20 to 30 minutes, put into the refridge to keep.

The magazine article says that it will keep for 5 days, but I think it may last a little longer (but not for too much longer).

You would think that this would be used for something "sweet", and there were some recipes that were for sweet dishes, but the one that caught my eye was a savory one.

Beef & Ginger "Shigure-ni" from "Elle a Table September 2011"
Serves 4

300 grams beef komagire (thinly cut scraps), bite sized
1 pack eringi mushroom, cut length-wise into fourths

Sauce:
3 tablespoons sake (rice wine)
3 tablespoons mirin (sweet rice wine)
3 tablespoons shoyu (soy sauce)
3 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons ginger syrup
1/4 cup ginger slices from the syrup, cut into bite sized pieces if too large

Put the ingredients for the sauce in a pan at medium heat.
When it starts to simmer, add the beef and eringi.
Cook until the liquid evaporates, about 4 to 5 minutes.
Enjoy with rice or put into a bento.

NOTES: The piece of ginger I used was 80 grams, so I used 80 cc of honey.

I think if the ginger you can get in your area is matured (fibrous & hard, darker yellow in color), you should cut the ginger thin and finely instead of just thin slices.

Komagire is literally translated as scraps, just make sure to get thinly sliced beef (as thin as you can find).

Shigure-ni literally means "simmered drizzle" but it also means something simmered in soy sauce. And because shoga (ginger) is sometimes added, it is sometimes called Shoga-ni.

This took a little longer than 4 to 5 minutes for the liquid to evaporate, more like 10 minutes.

This dish was delicious, be prepared with lots of rice! Also, because it had ginger in it, it was a nice way to warm up on a cool night.

Even though I found this recipe in Autumn, I'm keeping this one for Winter too!

11 comments:

KirkK said...

Hi Kat - I've been playing around with ginger syrup too.....to use with tonic water for some refreshing ginger ale...so far, it has turned out too sweet.

K and S said...

I saw one for ginger beer in this same article but am leery it will be too sweet Kirk, will share if I do try.

Take care.
Kat

Kathy YL Chan said...

Hi Kat! Mmm that sounds nice. I always steep ginger in with my teas and tisanes, but never made ginger syrup before. Will have to give this a try, love the savory applications as well! ^_^

Japan Australia said...

Beef and Ginger are an amazing combination and go together so well :)

Japan Australia

K and S said...

I hope you try this Kathy, it was easy :)

so true J-A!

Take care you two.
Kat

Deb in Hawaii said...

I made some ginger syrup a while back--you have prompted me to want to make more. ;-) Love that savory dish--I would not have thought to use it that way. ;-)

K and S said...

Thanks Deb! I hope you give this dish a try :)

Take care.
Kat

jalna said...

So interesting! I love ginger. Never heard of ginger syrup before. But then I don't really cook.

K and S said...

lol you're funny Jalna :)

Take care.
Kat

Rowena said...

I like the savory idea too and I'm guessing that you should use a very plain honey that is more on the runny side? Looks great!

K and S said...

Rowena,
I actually used whatever I had open which was an Italian orange honey (Mielizia Arancino Sicilia e Calabria), but runny plain honey would definitely be good :)

Take care.
Kat