Thursday, December 15, 2011

shrooms!

I was kinda thrilled to find these mushrooms at the market the other day.

They are cultivated in Japan and I am eagerly waiting to see portabellos in the near future.

With these and some eringi, I made a mushroom sauce, sauteeing the shrooms in some olive oil then drizzling some tonkatsu sauce. At the end I added a nub of butter.

I served this over a hamburger patty and a side of sweet potato mash for dinner the other night.

With the leftover hamburger patties and mushroom sauce, I made "loco moco" for breakfast the other day.

No gravy but this version was pretty delicious.

11 comments:

Jessica | Cajunlicious said...

I love mushrooms, my husband and I often saute them with squash and a little butter, delicious!

Rowena said...

Oooh...portabellos. Odd that we don't have them here but what I wish we could get were fresh shiitake mushrooms.

K and S said...

that sounds delicious Cajunlicious, I think butter makes things better :)

weird how I can eat fresh shiitake but not dried Rowena :0

Take care you two.
Kat

Japan Australia said...

I grew really fond of mushrooms in Japan and they do have some great varieties :)

Japan Australia

K said...

I'm not a mushroom fan, but I love your flavor combinations in both dishes!

K and S said...

definitely J-A!

Thanks K :)

Take care you two.
Kat

KirkK said...

Love mushrooms Kat! Hopefully you'll get your portobellos, but there are so many varieties where you're at already.

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Oh, I think mushrooms make almost everything better! Well, maybe not cookies....

K and S said...

thanks Kirk :)

true Lizzy, maybe not cookies :)

Take care you two.
Kat

Deb in Hawaii said...

Mmm... I could eat mushrooms every day. ;-)

K and S said...

sometimes I think the same thing too Deb :)

Take care.
Kat