Tuesday, January 17, 2012

north farm stock

My host-brother's wife, recently sent us a jar of bagna cauda and a jar of espresso milk jam made by the North Farm Stock in Hokkaido.

My first food experience with bagna cauda was about the time I started this blog. I really didn't know what it was especially with the name of the dish in katakana.

Since that first experience, bagna cauda has been seen more and more over the years on various restaurant menus here.

I was reading the directions on the bottle and it mentioned it is good with pasta or on bread.

I decided to use it to saute some veggies and eat that concoction with baguette.

It wasn't too garlicky, or fishy, I liked it.

We tried the espresso milk jam...meh, the flavor was so weak.

I thought it would be shouting "espresso"! but no it was just a whisper.

On top of that, the texture was more like whipped cream than what I know as milk jam.

Still, I'm happy that we got to try these items. (Thank you!)

9 comments:

Rowena said...

I have to admit that reading about bagna cauda being made in a place in Japan is unreal, but only because it's such a potent dish over here that I find it strange to see it mentioned anywhere else. For some reason I don't think it would go over well in Hawaii (for the anchovies I'm sure of it).

K and S said...

I agree it wouldn't go over to nicely in Hawaii Rowena :) I can only imagine how potent it is in Italy.

Take care.
Kat

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

I've always thought bagna cauda would make a fun, interactive party dish. I think I need to sample it first before going that route! What a nice friend~

K said...

Sound interesting, I've never tried it before!

K and S said...

hope you like it Lizzy :)

hope you get a chance to try it K :)

Take care you two.
Kat

Barbara said...

I have never heard of milk jam. Sounds interesting.

K and S said...

milk jam is what the Japanese call "dulce de leche" Barbara.

Take care.
Kat

Deb in Hawaii said...

I love bagna cauda--dipping veggies and bread in all that garlicky/anchovy goodness! ;-)

K and S said...

it is fun to dip all sorts of things in the bagna cauda Deb :)

Take care.
Kat