Friday, April 20, 2012

"green" smoothie

It is the Friday here, the single cherry blossoms have ended but the double ones are in full bloom.  The weather is also very warm, almost summery.  We had rain, really heavy rain last night.

I tried my hand at "green smoothies" for breakfast because I had been seeing it all over the blogosphere as well as on info-mercials.

I guess I didn't add enough "green" though, because mine turned a brownish color...I know, not too appetizing looking, but trust me it was delish.

I added a handful of baby spinach, 1 small banana, 7 strawberries and a handful of frozen blueberries.
I also added a teaspoon of ground flax seed, a teaspoon of almond powder, some water and 1/4 cup of milk.

Even if it didn't look "green", I'm planning to experiment some more with this.

Hope you have a great weekend.

10 comments:

Happy Little Bento said...

Lots of my "green" drinks are brown too. Berries (and red leaf lettuce) will do that. Still good though! Yay!

K and S said...

Thanks for the support Sheri, now I know what to look for :)

Take care.
Kat

KirkK said...

Folks around here seem to be into Kale smoothies....I saw one and it does look green.

K and S said...

I don't think I've ever seen kale in our markets Kirk, though I could be wrong.

Take care.
Kat

K said...

Haha! Maybe it was the blueberries that changed the color?

My go-to is spinach, frozen strawberries, frozen bananas, soy or almond milk, and a little nonfat yogurt!

K and S said...

I think it definitely had to do with the berries, K :) I like your smoothie combo!

Take care.
Kat

Deb in Hawaii said...

Depending on the ingredients--especially blueberries, mine lean to the brown sometimes too. Still yummy and I just pour it into a colored drinking glass. ;-)

K and S said...

smart using colored glasses, Deb!

Take care.
Kat

Rowena said...

We were in Bellagio over the weekend and there was a new shop for fruit and vegetable drinks. Green smoothies have also arrived in bel italia for the health-conscious tourists ^-^

K and S said...

neat how it is spreading around the world Rowena!

Take care.
Kat