Wednesday, April 25, 2012

zucchini fritters

Yesterday was rather...hot (24C = 75F), though I have to be thankful that it wasn't humid.

Somehow I had zucchini fritters on my brain, probably because I was trying to think of ways to use up the carrot ginger dressing.

Here's what I did to make the fritters...makes about 10

1 zucchini (about 8-inches long), grated
some onion, minced
1 egg
6 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon olive oil
some water
oil to fry

I zapped the zucchini in the food processor and then minced the onion by hand.
Then I mixed everything, adding a little water to get a thick consistency (kinda like waffle batter)
In a heated non-stick pan, I added some oil (maybe about 2 tablespoons) and fried the fritters.
Afterwards, I drained them on a paper towel.

NOTES: this was good, I served them alongside with some baby greens and cherry tomatoes. I also stir-fried some eringi and red bell peppers then drizzled some of the carrot ginger dressing.

I think these fritters would be perfect in a bento (boxed meal) or even as a sandwich.

The weather dude says our temps will go up even higher today...oh boy! Hope your week is going well.

11 comments:

Phil said...

I'm enjoying this warmer weather, definitely beats winter! Where do you buy your zucchinis from? I find they are quiet expensive here. Recipe sounds good, nice with a bit of diced bacon thrown in?

KirkK said...

Hi Kat - The Missus loves zucchini pancakes and stuff like that. This looks lovely.

K and S said...

Are you in Japan? I buy zucchini at the supermarket Phil, it is kinda of pricey here as well. The zucchini here are tiny too.

Thanks Kirk! Hope you make some for the Missus.

Take care you two.
Kat

Phil said...

Yep, living in Osaka atm. Zucchini go for about 300 yen a pop from my local supermarkets and yeah they are tiny as well. Yet to find a super cheap place to get fresh produce. Any suggestions in Toyonaka?

K and S said...

don't know if you feel that Ikeda is far away from Toyonaka, Phil, but every Thursday, the Daiei at Hankyu Ikeda station has a pretty good sale on veggies. Recently they (Daiei) renovated and I got my zucchini for 128 yen ("renewal sale"). In my opinion, after Hankyu took over Nissho and changed it to Oasis, their prices went up and quality down.

Good luck with your shopping :)

Take care.
Kat

K and S said...

p.s. Phil, I think Hankyu Sone station's Daiei may be closer for you.

Rowena said...

24°C is nice! I'm still waiting for the temps to get high and enough (and stay there!) so I can transplant stuff into the garden. Zucchini plants are trying to crawl out of their tiny pots already! The mention of zuke fritters just says summer!

Phil said...

128 yen - what a bargain! Thanks a lot for the tips, I'll try to check Daiei out when I have time. Maybe this long weekend! Have a great weekend

K and S said...

I know! I love zucchini, and corn, and goya too Rowena...summer, bring it!

you have a good weekend too Phil, if you need more help, just email :)

Take care you two.
Kat

Deb in Hawaii said...

What a great use for zucchini and I am sure it was delicious with the dressing. ;-)

K and S said...

indeed it was Deb, I really like that dressing too!

Take care.
Kat