Wednesday, October 17, 2012

made in japan

The roses are in bloom again at Aramaki Rose Park, so I packed us a breakfast bento to eat at the park.

I had been seeing this foldable type of sandwich box and picked one up at the 100 yen store (which is made in Japan).

The Japanese have things down to a science, even sandwiches.

You can buy bread just the right size to fit into your sandwich box.

Bummer part is you can only buy 6 slices at a time. I hear that packaged bread in the Kanto area (Eastern Japan) comes with less slices (like 2 or 4)? While the bread in the Kansai area (Western Japan) are usually thicker sliced with max 6 slices...I've also seen types that have the crusts cut off for tea sandwiches.

Anyway, the night before I made some tandoori chicken then shredded it. In the morning I and made one sandwich with the chicken, cucumber and lettuce and the other one with the chicken, lettuce and roasted red bell pepper.

I wasn't too sure as how to pack the sandwiches into the box, since it was my first time using it.

I placed a piece of parchment paper in thinking I could put the sandwich directly in, but then wrapped each one to prevent them from drying out.

The night before I also roasted some cauliflower with some ras-el hanout. In the morning, I packed it with some cherry tomatoes, as well as some asian pear and some coffee.

This is how our breakfast picnic looked...kinda messy, yeah?! Everything was delicious though.

Not to mention we had a nice view too.

After breakfast, we folded up our sandwich box and packed everything up.

It was a great day to get out and about.

8 comments:

K said...

What a great picnic meal! I have a few of those sandwich boxes too but I always keep forgetting to use them..

KirkK said...

Love the view Kat! Looks great for a little picnic!

genkitummy said...

Looks like a nice breakfast picnic!

K and S said...

aw you should use them K, tell me how you like them :)

Thanks Kirk!

Thanks Genki :)

Take care everyone.
Kat

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

I miss picnic in Japan... I must say my favorite part was always obento!!! Well back then I was still a kid so I never had to cook and pack.. that was nice. :D Sounds like you had a great time!

K and S said...

yeah I liked bento when I was a kid too Nami :)

Take care.
Kat

Rowena said...

You guys have roses blooming? If I didn't know it was autumn, I would've thought that it was spring right now.

I like the idea of foldable sandwich boxes since they save space. Cute picnic!

K and S said...

Rowena, the park we go to has roses two times a year, Spring & Autumn :)

Take care.
Kat