Monday, April 15, 2013

wake ari

I talked about the wake-ari corner before. Well the other day I found this bunch of asparagus there.

It looked perfectly fine. The price 120 yen! what a steal. Not to mention it was grown in Japan.

Usually the price is 198 yen for like 5 stalks.

And this container of blueberries from Mexico. Granted they weren't "local" but they were 30% off.

Got them for 250 yen.

These radishes weren't in the wake-ari area, but it was the first time for me to see locally grown radishes, so I picked them up. Only 98 yen.

With the tops of the radishes I used this recipe for Daikon tops. Perfect to top rice with.

Have the Spring veggies started to appear in your markets?

8 comments:

jalna said...

SCORE!!

K and S said...

I know Jalna :)

Take care.
Kat

Rowena said...

Not the ones that I really want, like garlic scapes, white turnips and peas! Still, regarding "non-local" stuff, I found okra last week (from Nicaragua) - 150 grams for 1.58€ - that I couldn't pass up. Gotta give credit to our fave supermarket for trying to appeal to all tastebuds.

K and S said...

I saw okra in our markets too, but I think it was from Thailand, Rowena. :) Hope your temps are getting warmer.

Take care.
Kat

KirkK said...

That asparagus is cheaper than here!

K and S said...

wow that is amazing Kirk!

Take care.
Kat

K said...

Nice finds! I like that you can buy items in smaller amounts- I would definitely waste less!

K and S said...

I appreciate the smaller amounts too, K :)

Take care.
Kat