Friday, May 03, 2013

lemon chicken

The other day, I was craving lemon chicken.

Thing is you don't really see it on menus here.

So, I figured I had to make it from scratch.

I didn't want to fry chicken though, so I cheated and bought some pre-made karaage (fried chicken).

The surprising thing is that many of the cookbooks I have, have the sauce recipe for lemon chicken but most only call for a tablespoon of lemon juice?! and lots of vinegar...Really?!

I had some local lemons that I wanted to use, so I made up this one:

juice of 1 lemon (about 1/4 cup)
2 teaspoons honey
1/4 cup water
slurry (cornstarch & water)
thinly sliced lemon
pre-made karaage (fried chicken)

Bring the lemon juice, honey and water to a boil and drizzle in the slurry until you get the thickness desired.
Add the sliced lemon at the end.
Drizzle over the chicken.

NOTES: I think my sauce could've been a little thicker but this really hit the spot. I served the chicken over stir-fried veggies.

p.s. It's the start of a 4-day weekend and the tail-end of Golden Week, have a nice weekend, everyone!

6 comments:

K said...

Yum this looks great!

genkitummy said...

That's a smart idea. I don't really like to deep fry things too because of the smell and it is time-consuming. I think I'll do that when we are pressed for time.

KirkK said...

Now you're making me miss this too Kat!

K and S said...

Thanks K :)

Deep frying takes so long and is so messy, Genki :p

Aw sorry, Kirk :0

Take care everyone.
Kat

Rowena said...

I used to be addicted to lemon chicken, and it was the first item I'd order at any chinese restaurant. Too bad fried chicken isn't common at all over here as it's the frying part that I don't care for anymore.

K and S said...

yeah I hate to fry too Rowena, too bad your markets don't sell fried chicken :(

Take care.
Kat