Sunday, August 04, 2013

foodie wednesday in kobe

Wednesday I was supposed to meet up with a friend, but had to change plans because she had a bout of anemia.

So, instead I went to Kobe to pick up my sample of Mariage Frères' summer tea, Violetta.

It is a very floral tea and has a violet fragrance, (the guy at the counter let me smell it), I think as an iced tea, it is going to have a refreshing taste.

In order to get the sample, I had to buy something, so I'm trying their Yunnan.

I hope both are good.

I then walked up Tor Road to Kitano Groceries, which I found the last time I was in Kobe.

They sell all sorts of foods especially spices.

I picked up 200 grams of ground cumin, some whole cumin seeds and cardamom pods...870 yen. I don't think we get spices this cheap in Hawaii, do we?!

It was funny though, as I was paying for them, the owner, who is also a foreigner says to me in Japanese, "are you going to make curry?"

I told him, "how can you tell?"

"Because most people making curry buy these items", he said.

We then had a nice chat in Japanese about how he makes his curry.

I was pretty hungry after that conversation, and ate at a restaurant that my host-family took us to earlier this year called Kokaen.

They serve Vietnamese-Chinese food.

I had their sweet sour fried won ton set...700 yen.

Crispy won ton is covered with a sweet sour sauce and some veggies. On a humid hot day like it was, this really hit the spot.

There was also a nice daikon salad, some zasai (szechuan pickles) & egg drop soup.

On the way home, no one wanted to sit by me on the train...the cumin I bought made me smell like I had b.o. There were even guys, thinking that they smelled and sprayed themselves with cologne...funny yeah?!

It was crazy hot & humid, but it was still nice to get out and about.

What have you been doing lately?

Mariage Frères
BAL Kobe 2F
Kobe, Hyogo
Phone: 078.391.6969

Kitano Groceries
3-3-3 Yamamoto-dori (In front of the Mosque)
Kobe, Hyogo
Phone: 078.230.6860

Kokaen
2-21-12 Nakayamate-dori
Kobe, Hyogo
Phone: 078.231.7079
Closed Tuesdays : Lunch 11:30-13:30, Dinner 17:00-21:00 (Sundays: Lunch 11:30-13:30, Dinner 17:00-20:00)

8 comments:

Korean Dramas said...

hahahaha! I always liked cumin, but also knew that it smells a lot like armpit sweat at the same time. it's so strange... you're very brave! the warm weather must have toasted the cumin, making it extra fragrant. in the summer my spice cabinet smells really nice, because of the hot air.

jalna said...

B.O. . . . sooo funny!! I think it's so cool that you can go travel to all these different places. I'm beginning to feel limited on this island.

K and S said...

Thanks smoothie :)

aw Jalna, it's kinda like going to Kahala Mall for me (since I live Leeward side) :)

Take care you two.
Kat

Rowena said...

Now that's the kind of foodie day I like. But people not liking the spicy aroma....huh? All those things you bought smell so gooooooood!

K and S said...

I guess it is an acquired smell Rowena ;)

Take care.
Kat

KirkK said...

For some reason the rather BO-ish smell of cumin stimulates my appetite with reagrds to food....when it's emanating from a mammal it has the opposite effect!

K said...

I love that you can try out new teas from the samples! And your lunch looks delicious.

K and S said...

lol Kirk ;)

Thanks K :)

Take care you two.
Kat